

## ASWU Meeting Minutes 01/10/2018

---

*In attendance:*

2017-2018 School Year - Executive Vice President - Dylan Reyes (Proxy for President), Financial Vice President - Shaun Fisher, Activities Coordinator - Danny Butler, Cultural Events Coordinator - Kamau Chege, Marketing/PR Coordinator - Hunter Smit, Natsihi Editor - Michaela Mulligan, Baldwin Jenkins Senator - Alex Mowrey, Ballard Senator - Savannah Heath, Boppell Senator - Sarah Haman, Duvall Senator - Tucker Wilson, McMillan Senator - Martin Crocco, Off-Campus Senator - Gracie Meiners, Stewart/Village Senator - Shelby Krug, Warren Senator - Ethan Clardy (Proxy for Secretary), Warren Zone Rep - Josiah Gallegos, BJ/Stewville Zone Rep - Parker Daniels, Arend/Boppell Zone Rep - Alexa Ricks, Duvall/Oliver Zone Rep - Jacob Seo, Off-Campus Zone Rep - Lisa Huang, Off-Campus Zone Rep - Franklin Ekelem, Off-Campus Zone Rep - Hannah Howell, Norma Heredia - Proxy for Executive Vice President

Absent: President - Jeff Debray, Secretary - Jordan Coleman, Special Events Coordinator - Rachel Henson, Senior Class Coordinator - Sarah Dixit, Sports Coordinator - Mae Curtis, Oliver Senator - Hannah Underwood, Spiritual Life Coordinator - Hannah Palmer, Sustainability Coordinator - Claire Leveck, Arend Senator - Amber Van Brunt

Meeting was brought to order at 5:00pm in the Chambers

**Dylan:** Approve minutes. Anything that needs to be amended?

Shaun Fisher Changed unallocated amounts. Shelby Krug changed a name.

Minutes from previous meeting are approved

Yes-14

No- 0

Abstaining- 1

Alex Mowery reads the ASWU mission statement.

**Guest Speaker Chris Eichorst:**

**Chris:** I just wanted to go over projects we have been doing recently and are going to start doing soon. You may not notice some of the projects on campus.

Pine bowl: Turf is new and a state of the arc field like what the seahawks have.

Nelson Garden: Small right now, but in a couple years you should see it explode and take off. Anybody take biology? It has three bio-regions

Northern idaho region, a dry forest around Spokane. Alumni from Whitworth and trustees are on the plaques that the garden is dedicated to. Enjoy the garden when snow melts.

### Completed Projects:

New chemistry professor that a lab was created for, there's a new lounge, the Johnston science building has been updated with new seating and floors in auditorium.

George's Place is a new testing center. Cowles auditorium was built in 1955. It has been leaking and has had trees fall on it. New bulkhead and new drains part of safety requirement were replaced at the pool. We need a large variety in our forests and type of trees. Trees grow old and die so we are trying to maintain variety on campus.

In Sodexo, we needed to redo the floor, a mold project, a fire alarm in the HUB that takes a lot of expertise to get that stuff done. We did some work in BJ as well. We are partnered with some engineers.

### Equipment:

Buying new equipment as old equipment starts getting worn out. Trash tractor, new carts that are electric. New sidewalks from BJ to library. Every year we are doing asphalt and concrete repairs.

The big box outside HUB is important. If we lose power to HUB then we can lose operations. Box is a transfer switch. We can pull generator over with a truck and maintain and operate food services and essentials in the HUB.

Anybody in theme houses? We are working on creating a new sign that's metal instead of a rickety post. They aren't all replaced right now, but will be soon with updated logos.

Boppell had HVAC stuff done.

Nelson gardens- \$0.2 million

Pine bowl- \$1.3 million

Beeksmas Theology Center- Chapel addition \$2.4-2.8 million

-Chris: Money is raised for that and is ready to go.

Athletics leadership center: Westminster, graves, Fieldhouse is where everyone is. This is to get everyone together. It's 28,000 feet and 3 stories tall. Out of some bond money, borrowed money, not quite to the finish line. Not building this Summer, but may begin next summer.

Cowles Auditorium: Lights and infrastructure is bad. Replace rigging system and lighting to improve functionality of building. Remove walls, roofs and everything and put in something that can hold up the building. Current building (1915) has lots of cracks in it.

Pine Bowl renovation: Have more state of the art buildings that is all fundraised

Beeksmas Theology Centre: Outdoor atrium terrarium, fire pit, lounge, hopefully a lot of collaborative spaces.

Savannah: Is this going to affect Ballard in any way?

Chris: This is Chris speaking. We have it arranged so it won't taint res halls. The loop is a sacred place on campus and we are trying to keep construction to the loop minimal. Athletic leadership center is phase 1. Phase 2 has a venue for concerts, basketball, volleyball arena, a much nicer event facility. Graves will be around with Phase 1, but with phase 2, Graves will be gone.

Shaun: May I ask why a new basketball venue?

Chris: Fieldhouse will become an all turf practice facility. Indoor outdoor simulated for practices for teams in bad water. Lacrosse will also be using the pine bowl

Pine Bowl Press Brox:

New press box with some coaches offices and actual restrooms and not port-a-potties. Executive suite for donors to give them an opportunity to watch the game. Opportunity for catered events and areas for vending from sodexo, areas for tee-shirts.

Cowles Auditorium:

Rigging system that was repaired really shrinks the stage. We weren't planning on this originally but it is necessary to fix. There's opportunity to add a blackbox to the side on Hawthorne Road which affects plans quite a bit.

Shaun: Stage 2 is technically a black box and it would come back above ground?

Chris: Yes, it's not a great space down there so that would come up.

STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) Lab: Where Creativity flourishes and ideas become a reality.

**Chris:** Bookbinding, sewing, laser printing, and a space for people to come together and use in conjunction with classes, hobbies, or need a place to go. We chose to build it back behind facilities because it will be noisy with loading and unloading supplies. We are looking at 16,000 square feet. A lot of my team could be making a lot more money other places.

Pool: New vaccuator system to get rid of chloramines in pool. Improve Robinson Teaching Theater because it needs new lights and Leonard Oakland can finally show movies. Any Questions on projects?

**Kamau:** Regarding upcoming students, how do students have a voice or influence?

**Chris:** Through board of trustees is where we get feedback. We take feedback from staff and faculty. When you were in high school or junior high we have been looking at a lot of these projects. There is a possible wing on the Johnston science building. One reality I've learned is to follow the money if a donor comes in and you want to get stuff done. A one

million dollar bond we received in the past is now spent. Everything we are spending now are gifts from donors. Honestly I don't know what the best Avenue is for students. Do you have concerns?

**Kamau:** There have been a lot of concern from students about the village or the ISC, that are spaces where students spend to feel good and hang out. I guess we haven't heard about upcoming projects for those places.

**Chris:** Student government through Jeff and Dylan, and committees are ways for students to voice their opinions.

**Dylan:** You can actually encourage students to voice their opinions for these projects.

**Chris:** We'd be happy to share plans through the Whitworthian. We've done that in the past.

**Alex:** In rhetoric, there is about a race to the top that universities get more luxury spaces as they rise to the top. Are we trying to resist this?

**Chris:** We are trying to make housing more apartment like but there hasn't been any funding behind it. There's been talk about having Junior and Senior spaces with rules that are a little more relaxed with drinking for example but there has been some pushback. The operation of this university is based on tuition first, and donors second. If things start growing again then that would be the time to entertain those types of things.

**Alex:** When I think of things like the athletic centers those are things I think of as un-necessitated expenses.

**Chris:** Those are the kinds of things that are going to attract students. 25% of the population are athletes. Have you seen the graves locker room? I know we are Division 3, but we aren't going to build a bigger stadium, we are just going to make it nicer. There's a certain parody that they are trying to keep on campus. It's athletics turn as theology is getting their little piece of the pie. There are a lot of alumni and athletics is their thing.

**Dylan:** Save questions for the end for the sake of time.

**Chris:** Let's talk about parking. We simplified parking in the fall. General parking and staff and faculty. No overnight parking is interior parking that needs to be for employees, staff, faculty and people that leave and come back for the day. If you parked in a no overnight, move your car because snow removal is happening. Cars may be dinged or snowed in with plows going through parking lots. In year's past we have been trying to encourage students to park closer to where they lived. 2-5am is when you can't have car in faculty parking. Park for the mind is a parking task force that looks at parking each year. Hopefully no one drives from Oliver to the Fieldhouse. The campus is really small and you can walk from the Fieldhouse to Hawthorne Hall in ten minutes. We are trying to keep the sidewalks cleared. The parking in no way is suppose to be a convenience for people. Idea is to keep the campus

beautiful with trees and pedestrians. We don't want too much interaction between cars and pedestrians. If your off campus there are lockers in the HUB to use. Then other thing is there is not enough parking. If you come to campus and can't find a spot anywhere, go to Hawthorne Hall,. There is always plenty of parking there. If you don't have a class there you can still get everywhere pretty quickly. With Music Building people are going to be affected with chapel. If you haven't read the parking rules that's always a good thing to read. X4 is a gravel lot that is football overflow parking. It used to be dirt, now it's gravel. G4-G6 are typically underused. Questions?

**Sarah:** I've been getting a lot of frustrated residents complaining about parking being filled with residents from Arend, Oliver, and Duvall. Because we are apartment style, and have groceries to carry in, there's no where to park to carry in things.

**Chris:** You can double park or park in a fire lane for five minutes just to unload things. Given number of residence rooms and people on campus, the requirement is 1406 spots and we have 1609 regular parking and 1800 of all spots on campus. There is an FAQ online and questions that are fairly common I encourage you to look at that.

**Ethan:** You can park in faculty parking on Friday after 5pm and until Monday at 2am.

**Chris:** I am also the emergency response planner for the university. Brooke Keiner has a 9 minute video that is published online. We encourage all students to view it online. All GE 125 students are required to watch it. Take care of personal life safety first, if you see an emergency, call 911 first then call security. I also like to encourage drills. Beck has promised trustees and families we would drill for shooters once a semester. Not more than 10 minutes long, usually 6 or 7 minutes. Go through motions and do what you're supposed to do. Turn off lights, be quiet, silence your cell phone, high five, really. If you get distant between you and that that is good. Get off campus by foot not by car because it's slower if everyone is trying to leave campus. RDs practice exercises and go through areas of what could possibly happen. Go through situations of "what could possibly go wrong." There are two new blue lights which give us more security coverage.

**Hannah H.:** What is potential for getting blue lights off campus closer to theme houses. Cluster of theme houses closer to division, kipsos garden, or somewhere that direction?

**Chris:** That's a possibility. They are about \$15,000 a piece. I will take that into consideration, but it is based on power and wifi ranges. Blue lights are a PA system for security and cameras for security. Hopefully you feel a sense of security when you are near them.

**Savannah:** I totally get that money is an issue and when you get donors to build something that is what you go for, but I have heard frustrations with buildings we already have and not being updated. Buildings aren't safe like Stewart's windows. If you push on them, students could potentially fall out.

**Chris:** Stewart has been on the list for 3 or 4 years. Windows are aesthetic and keeps heat in. 350,000 to replace windows on top floors and another 100,000 to replace the lower floor windows. Return on investment is very small. Aesthetically it would look way better. If there is a safety concern, I need to know about it. It has been on list for a long time, but keeps getting pushed down for HVAC systems. When we have limited donors, that's not really something we can just get money for.

**Savannah:** I have friends in Stewart and was wondering how much the theology center is going to block off Ballard.

**Chris:** Send me an email and I can send you floor plans and what a site plan will look like or stop by my office. Dale Sodden wasn't real happy about that. The loop is kind of sacred. We are trying to make it work as best as possible. It wouldn't be my first choice to build it there. We are going to build nice sidewalks to build around fountain to get to library. Contact me with questions at Ceichorst@whitworth.edu.

**Shaun:** Capital and unallocated haven't changed for a while. Capital is at \$16,270 and \$2,500.18 is out of unallocated. As of right now a lot of stuff has been delayed and are now updated with print shop and tech stuff. Right now Rachelle and I have a quick update. Re-vamp of organization period for the books, adjusting club manuals, club website updating, cash prizes and awards for people who do that, new protocol for cash advances. For people who don't have hard classes, take this time to do documentation of your work so people in your position know what your daily tasks look like. Think about doing that in your free time. Gaming club has Whitcon March 9th through 11th. Senators, Primetimes are needed to make larping equipment. Ask to host a primetime and see if we can get them on your schedule.

**Sarah:** Are the budgets from Anthony there?

**Shaun:** Because of his injury he has been lagging.

**Norma:** Be present at MLK. Kudos to Gracie for the event at McClains because it was packed. I am not familiar with on campus events. Kudos to Danny's event, great stuff, funny stuff.

**Dylan:** Can someone debrief and give us what we did on Monday?

**Savannah:** On Monday senators, Dill, and Zone Reps got together to discuss a potential casino night. We are hoping to do it in the dining hall on the 19th because January doesn't have a lot of events and people can come hang out with their friends because Jan Term feels like there is nothing to do. We gave Senators jobs to do and if anyone wants to help they can.

**Dylan:** Talk about the budgets?

**Shelby:** Each Senator will put a percentage from their budgets so it isn't coming from one budget. Finding the percentage that works for everyone. We talked about decorations and supplies that we can get from the dollar store. Cards and die we can get from the dollar store.

**Sarah:** If anyone knows anyone whos good at play cards we are looking for more dealers for tables. We don't want people to sit there for 3 hours to deal, they need a break. We had a lot of different options like a dance and movie night. A casino night is a little more refreshing. It still allows people to dress up and we thought we would try something new and we are excited about it.

**Dylan:** This is inclusive for the off campus community as well. Details?

**Sarah:** 8-11 on Friday the 19th in Sodexo. We are using fake money to people who show up. We are having small dollar amount prizes and people with the most money at the end of the night could win a prize.

**Jacob:** I am working with hunter on making a poster, putting it in ASWU pages and making sure event is known in community:

**Danny:** Having sections sectioned off as a high dollar amount table when people with lots of money are allowed in. Play for higher priced prizes in this sectioned area.

**Dylan:** Anyone who's able and willing to help is most appreciated. Put on newsletters

**Shaun:** What are all of the games you are planning on having?

**Everyone:** Poker, blackjack, garbage,

**Shaun:** Poker chips?

**Savannah:** Dollar store.

**Danny:** You can use monopoly money.

**Celisse:** The open mic night is on the 19th of January and the events conflict.

**Dylan:** It's not a confined event and you don't have to stay the whole time.

**Sara:** I think the event starts earlier?

**Dylan:** We should rethink doing it Saturday instead of Friday.

**Celisse:** That was the reason we put it on the event calendar so it wouldn't conflict.

**Dylan:** Any other questions about that? We wanted to bring it to the meeting first so we can talk through things.

**Parker:** When do we think the day is?

**Savannah:** if everyone is ok with the 20th we are ok with switching it.

**Dylan:** Let's just make it that Saturday and if you aren't there during the event you can always help out before.

**Shelby:** Do we still want to do it in the dining hall or move it to the MPR?

**Celisse:** The dining hall already has tables.

**Dylan:** The 20th is the new date. Start telling people.

### **Reports and Vibe:**

**Danny:** We have 3 ASWU people in the game Ethan, Jacob, and Alex. We had a selfie professor challenge. It's going smooth. We are at top 20 currently. Production crew is releasing episodes in April. There are official episodes that will be released.

**Ian:** Off campus students don't feel included on campus. Frustrating for people who go home for an hour or two because there's no where they feel included. I was talking to Gracie that repurposing the MPR could make it more friendly.

**Norma:** How do you envision that?

**Ian:** TVs set up in MPR, adding couches, adding board games to do something in between classes for off campus students to do. I know we can't just add a rom

**Alex:** Anyone know who I could talk to to get bigger tables in the coffeeshop?

**Dylan:** Talk to Sodexo.

**Shelby:** Anyone know who to talk to about AEDs?

**Norma:** RDs?

**Celisse:** No. Chris or security.

**Sarah:** Heart attacks are more likely to happen in athletic buildings and there has been a lot of research going into AEDs in athletic buildings.

**Michaela:** more awards for yearbook, most outstanding yearbook for 2017, first place in our



category.

**Recognition/ call to order:**

**Michaela:** Shout out to Kamau for this weeks of events.

**Shelby:** Shout out to Shaun Fisher for being a great person and being supportive and I cried because I get someone to look up to. I love you Shaunable.

**Kamau:** I want to give a shout out to everyone who has been helping me for sign making, Shaun, Dill, Michaela and everybody. Event tonight at 7 is a community meeting in HUB ABC room with hot drinks, hot chocolate, apple cider, teas of different varieties. Hot. Very hot. Thanks to Hunter for helping me make the graphics.

**Alex:** I move to Adjourn meeting.

**Gracie:** Second.

Meeting adjourned at 6:17pm.