



We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, are dedicated to building an inclusive and equitable atmosphere by serving the holistic student body. We will advocate for the well-being of all students, collaborate with campus partners to provide proactive support, and uplift the diverse experiences within all aspects of our community.

2021-22 ASWU Meeting Minutes | February 9th, 2022

Attendance:

Rachel Ayres President	present
Chris Clay Vice President	present
Abby Douglas Financial Director	present
Grant Hill Communications Director	present
Hannah Sommerville Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Georgia Goff School Spirit Coordinator	present
Tristy Osbon Sustainability Coordinator	absent
Aidan Walsh Senior Class Coordinator	present
Aeron Sugui Marketing/PR Coordinator	present
Sienna Buster Traditional Events Coordinator	present
Jenna Breedlove Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Jessica Lopez-Ramirez Cultural Events Coordinator	present
Jamie Copeland Club Coordinator	present
Christian Aguilar Outreach Coordinator	present
Grace Johnson Oliver Senator	present
Hans Tamminga McMillan Senator	present
Katelynn Diaz Ballard Senator	late
Adaeze Njoku Boppell Senator	proxy
Larkin Dean Duvall Senator	present
Logan Spencer Warren Senator	present

Samie Schaffer Arend Senator	present
Rebecca Kay Stewart Senator	present
Kyle Marquez Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Reeshika Sharma Off-Campus Senator	present
Michael Lie International Student Senator	present
Payton Wyatt Neighborhood Senator	present
Munya Fashu-Kanu Off Campus Rep	present
Marie Fenske Off Campus Rep	present
Courtney Cossette Off Campus Rep	present
Jamie Furr Off Campus Rep	present
Makayla Pugmire Off Campus Rep	present
Michelle Lie Incoming Student Rep	present
Elisa Vigil Incoming Student Rep	present
Hannah Loesch Village Rep	absent

Meeting brought to order at 1701.

Rachel: Hello everyone, welcome to our first meeting of 2022. We have some new people here today. Jamie is a proxy for Dezy, Samie is our new Arend senator and Payton is the neighborhoods senator.

Mission statement read by Michelle.

Motion to Approve Minutes

Moved by Kyle, Seconded by Jamie F

Discussion: None

In favor: 18 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining 0

Motion passes

One Pine Day Presentation

Jessica: To start off, name a crowdfunding project you have been involved in or heard of.

Chris: Volleyball net

Jason: Textbook lending library

Jessica: ISC

Aidan: Senior class gift

Jessica: Yes, these are all great examples. Campus ministries also has several as well. Soon we are putting up the projects for this year's One Pine Day. Pay attention to what part of campus they are on. They're everywhere and you probably use previous projects without knowing it. One Pine Day is Wednesday Feb 16th into the 17th which is a week from now. I'm Jessica and this is Anya. We are from institutional advancement. One Pine Day is when Whitworth alumni, donors, and families rally together to support students through donations to projects. One thing to take away from this is that alumni, parents, and donors support you all together. It's very cool news. I talk to so many people with life changing experiences and they make this a possibility for students. The other cool thing is we always celebrate all donors. They get red carpet treatment no matter the size of the gift. This is the day you want to give; you'll feel pretty cool. Anyone can make a gift. We have projects related to technology for sign language support, the swim team is going to Thailand, a scholarship for ministry students, student workspaces, split boards for snowboarding, theatre equipment, a community space for the Beeksma courtyard, cheer uniforms, meal assistance, mental health spaces, the Whitworth scholarship fund, and the senior class gift.

Anya: How many of you are seniors? How many of you play volleyball? The senior gift this year is installing a sand volleyball court by Duvall maybe. The gift launches on One Pine Day. Anyone can give but we encourage seniors to give. It's your first big opportunity to join alums and donors. We know when you are a college student, 5 dollars or 10 dollars is more reasonable, but the cool thing is every gift is the same. You are all buying lattes or eating out, it's really not that much. The more you can come together, it adds up. If you hear anything from me, it's that any gift amount counts. You can give \$20.22 in honor of your class year. You can give if not a senior or if you like volleyball and want the court. Aidan will be posting on class of 2022 Instagram account about it. She will share the giving link with you all on One Pine Day. Tell your friends to make a gift on

One Pine Day which is February 16-17th at 1pm. Let's see how close we can get to meeting our goals.

Jessica: We have a little incentive for telling the news about One Pine Day. When donors give gifts, they vote for their favorite residence hall. Senators tell everyone! The residence halls with the most votes will get a pizza party. I have stickers for senators to share in their halls and some extra if anyone really wants one. They are super cute. They are pinecone stickers and there is also cake being served at 11:45 to celebrate Whitworth's birthday on February 17th. Any questions?

Jessica: What type of cake?

Anya: Last year it was raspberry with vanilla, but I don't know if it's the same this year. Scott will be there helping with serving.

Chris: Senators raise your hand.

Makayla: That celebration is where on February 17?

Jessica: Pretty sure it's in the MPR.

Club Coordinator Updates

Jamie C: Today we have Students for Life, GEM, AT Club, and Psi Chi presenting.

- Students for Life

Video played in chambers: https://mywhitworth-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jcopeland22_my_whitworth_edu/Documents/Attachments/SFL%20Club%20Update.mp4

Jamie C: Best contact is on the screen.

- GEM

Carly: I have one other officer Urvashi is here with me. We are GEM. A recent update is we are currently planning our big event of the year in women's history

month. We are inviting a speaker from Washington in which we received a grant to host a speaker in March. We are in the midst of advertising for her to come. March 16th is the date. We are getting people interested and spreading the word. We want to contact local news places and radios because we want it to be a community event.

Jamie: What is your best contact?

Carly: My email on the screen.

Rachel: What does GEM stand for?

Carly: Gender Equality Movement club.

- AT Club

Skylar: Hi, my name is Skylar Nicholson, and I am the president of athletic training club

Kayla: And my name's Kayla Conrad, and I'm the secretary of athletic training club.

Skylar: And the purpose of our club is to get undergraduate students who are in health sciences and in pre athletic training connected with the master's program in athletic training. Some of the events that we have done in the past are just before sporting events. We did a tailgating event before a football game. Kayla you can talk a little bit about that.

Kayla: We did it during the homecoming football game that was on campus. Basically, we just set up behind the new building and we had hot dogs and chips and cookies and water, and we invited all of the pre-athletic training students or anyone who signed up at the club fair to be on our emails. We invited everyone to come out and connect and get to know each other and eat hot dogs. It was a lot of fun. We had quite a few people come and it was really exciting to just get to know some of the undergrads that are behind us.

Skylar: Some events that we have in the future are we have a Q/A kind of get to know you event coming up soon. We're planning on doing that in late February later this month, it'll be for pre AT students and other health science students

who might be interested in going into athletic training. We're going to have a little panel for students to come in and ask questions. Also, in April for the new grads who had just got accepted into the athletic training program, we're going to do kind of a welcome to the master's program, Q/A, and just answer any questions that they may have. We're going to do a half on zoom, half in person, so that they can ask us questions if they have anything that they want to know about the program. The other thing that we're going to do is a de-stress event.

Um, we're getting ready to take the BOC as second years in March. So after with the BOC is done, we're going to do a little de-stress event for all of us in the master's program. Something else that we're doing is we're going to be doing a lot of fundraisers because we are doing NWAT which is a conference that we're all going to be attending in April, I believe. It's going to be a way for all of us to get involved with other athletic trainers in the community. And that'll be over on the west side of the state. So fundraising for travel and for staying and just paying for that conference. We also just finished a Graston training, which is a soft tissue mobilization that we just learned how to do. That was just this past weekend. Now all of us in the program are all certified in Graston and that was another way that our fundraising has helped us. So that's the athletic training group club, and that's what we've been up to.

Jamie C: If you have any questions, email the email on the screen.

- Psi Chi

Video played in chambers: https://mywhitworth-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jcopeland22_my_whitworth_edu/Documents/Attachments/Psi%20Chi%20Club%20Update%202022.mp4

Jamie C: If you have any questions email him.

Financial Director Updates

Capital: \$19,090

Unallocated: \$17,185.35

Travel: \$4,980

- Finance Committee

Abby: Here are the current account totals as of 2/7. Quick shoutout to the finance committee in hopes someone wants to join. Some people dropped. If anyone could message me if interested that would be great.

Larkin: What days do you meet?

Abby: Wednesday from 3-4 but might change to keep existing members.

Larkin: I can join let me know.

Rachel: Aidan too

President Updates

- Bylaw Changes

Rachel: It is so good to see you all again. Shoutout to all for coming to spring retreat. I am going to talk about bylaws and constitution changes. Last December we talked about changes to come regarding positions. The reasoning for this is nothing personal. We love everyone in these positions but looking at future enrollment numbers and budgets and inflation and we are trying to be proactive and cut positions to make room in the budget for other places on campus that we fund. We have had to underfund places this year and we want to equal it all out. This is the official write up. We are voting on both of these next week. Bylaws will be passed by the assembly and constitutional changes are voted by the assembly and the student body next week, so it is two votes. One will continue into future weeks, and one will be done. I am going to go over this. Most discussion will be next week so you can think and ask constituents what they think and bring suggestions and changes and next Wednesday will have the hard conversations. (Referring to PowerPoint) This is changes with the constitution. In organization structure section we are talking about the communication director. We decided and after asking others we decided to join the communication director with the PR/Marketing role. Bump up hours and the idea is to save money in that way. We are a big organization and want to size down a bit to be more efficient. This is hard because less jobs but there are others on campus. We added a phrase that would make sure communication director role would have a PR/Marketing side as well. We will send this out later. We are going to change the role of senator in the

neighborhood to rep and Stewart and the village are combining. Stewville has been in the past. These are small communities and combining efforts would make sense for us. This is last constitutional change. Neighborhoods is in the section about reps. These are constitutional changes to go to the student body. Now for bylaw changes. These will be done next week. There are three positions we propose to cut because budgets are tight. Its frustration but cutting outreach, pr marketing, and school spirit coordinator does not mean their jobs are inexistent. Outreach responsibilities would go to the VP and maybe an outreach committee. School spirit has amazing events that work well with the traditional events coordinator. Those are the only changes in bylaws. This shows the new system.

Abby: Here are the numbers and savings. This is what saves in our budget. This is why we think it's a good idea. Here are the changes and it describes how much we are paying and what it would look like after. This is estimated based on budget committee passing it, but we are bumping up communication directors' hours. Savings for each change is in bold. These are the 5 main ones. Total savings are 7% of current salaries budget. This doesn't take away everything but the money we are saving here, and bus passes being absorbed will give more money to intramurals and other things cut so they can function.

Rachel: I will take questions for clarification and the process right now.

Jason: Also, the importance of saving money in salaries is that it gives more money to clubs who will requisition for more funds. We always add clubs and last year very few clubs requisitioned because of rollover and little programming. Now they are using their money, so we are anticipating a sizable jump in requisitions for next year.

Abby: These numbers are based on current minimum wage, and it may go up too.

Christian: I am in full support of the decision of my position. If you have more questions on this transition for this semester and goals I have, my office hours are tomorrow and Friday. Let me if constituents have questions.

Kyle: When would it be effective?

Rachel: Next year 2022-2023. We have to pass this now because of the hiring timeline and election timeline.

Aeron: With my position being merged, if you have questions about my job, I have office hours on my door let me know.

Georgia: Would communication director be an exec still?

Rachel: Yes. Part of the reasoning is we want social media and marketing to be in the conversations with the execs.

Makayla: One position was removing school spirit, where is the effort reallocated?

Rachel: Traditional events. Jason absorbs other parts of school spirit as well.

- University Committee Updates

Rachel: I have heard if you were on committees last year and this year may look different with scheduling. If you know you can't make it to the committees let me know. I know Sienna is looking for a COVAC replacement. It is at Monday afternoons at 3pm once a month-ish. Does anyone want to join COVAC? Ill bug you later too. Aidan and Georgia can do it. We will talk later.

Aidan: If we are on a committee that we haven't gotten info about yet, what do we do. Its GCATS

Grant: It's the calendar committee for next year.

Rachel: It is probably a once-a-year thing I will check.

Vice President Updates

- CBS Standards Meetings

Chris: You need to meet with your AC and AAC to set standard CBS meeting to reacquaint with your halls and make sure that they know the guidelines. Make sure to print a sheet out if you need to from the print shop. Make sure it's done

by end of week. I will be sending out lots of email and don't want you to be overwhelmed. We will go over this in our 1:1's

- Schedule 1:1's

Chris: I sent out a schedule. Some have schedule problems so let me know so I can send separate emails or work something out for next week. Also, schedule your 1:1s with Jason.

- Office Hours

Chris: When you set your hours notify Jason and I where you'll be and what time in case we want to stop by and support you.

- Meal Cards

Chris: We will provide meal cards to those, prioritized for off campus and neighborhoods, who came to the meeting today. They are for Sodexo to eat dinner with us as a team.

- Student Highlight

Chris: Naomi is our student highlight this week. She decided to help us take our photo during spring retreat. Shoutout to her because we were not a very concise group.

Also, for clarification I am going through personal circumstances and won't be here March 2-6 and was invited to Faculty Development Day to talk about mental health but I want to extend my position and concern with Gregor so you can be in faculty development day to support students on campus if you want to. Notify me if you are interested to take my spot. Its March 4th. If you are interested let me know and ill extend the invitation.

Past Events

- Jan Term Trivia Night

Grace: Trivia Night went really well. It was a more lowkey night, especially considering that it was Jan Term and not everyone was here, or people were quarantined. We had about 60 people in attendance, with some good prizes, and I was told that the night was really fun.

Chris: Jason said you used a great website.

Grace: The website is called Crowdpor.

Makayla: What is it?

Grace: Kahoot is like it. It worked better than Kahoot.

Upcoming Events:

- Comedy Magician Derek Hughes

Hannah: It is next Thursday February 17th at 7:30pm in the HUB MPR. Derek Hughes is coming to perform. He was a finalist for AGT. I will need 3 people to set up and take down for this.

- BSU Harlem Renaissance

Chris: BSU is holding our gala event called BSU Harlem Renaissance. We are catering food by feast world kitchen to partner with more perspectives with cuisine in African and Black heritage. Its Friday February 25th from 6-8pm in the HUB MPR. I don't know if we need help because BSU will be there, but we will reach out if we need support. Mostly help with advertising but Aeron is helping with that. Everyone is invited.

Constituency Reports

McMillan:

Hans: We are doing good. In Jan term our washing machine broke again. Jan term was dead and covid wreaked havoc so most of us were in quarantine or another country. Not the same as last year but fun. We are having milk and cookies tonight. Events are coming up and we are hoping to kick off mac combat soon. Sweatshirts will happen one of these days. Fun to see people back.

Chris: When is mac combat?

Hans: Probably late march or early April. It will be a campus wide event.

Stewart:

Rebecca: We are doing pretty good. We lost a lot of people. The guy's floor is very small and female floor is $\frac{3}{4}$ of what it was. We are still energized and have new motivations and coming back with high energy and low talking.

Baldwin-Jenkins:

Kyle: BJ has been a time. Jan term was a chill time until we came across a travesty the first week. A crime happened between 1-3am; our beloved ping pong table is gone. Not gone but destroyed. Someone body slammed it and it got destroyed. We can't have nice things. It was brand new. With that being said I had my CBS meeting Tuesday night and we had 18 people out of 100 people there. It was a time. BJ will rise again.

Incoming Student Reps:

Elisa: From talking to constituents, people were excited to comeback but still exhausted from working hard all of fall and Jan term. Excited to see friends but there are some still struggling to build community. Michelle and I are going to try and throw a good event for incoming students to get to know each other.

Michelle: Some are stressing over waitlists in classes and planning 4-year plans.

Off Campus:

Reeshika: I am sending newsletters this Friday. Most of the people were gone for Jan term but excited to be back. I will have an event in March so stay tuned.

The Village:

Absent

Warren:

Logan: We have been good. We are getting back into classes. Constituents still are stressed with course loads. Other than that, Jan term was rough with quarantine. We have lots of new incoming students this semester. There are new people in the lounges. I had my CBS meeting yesterday and we had a few problems with laundry and kitchen etiquette and quiet hours are now 11pm every night for bad grades. Sweatshirts are fly not gonna lie.

International Students:

Michael: International students are doing great. During Jan term some went to other countries and returned but most people stayed here and got covid. This semester we have two new exchange students from France and Austria.

Neighborhoods:

Payton: Things are well. Lots of people are returning from Jan term and getting settled in. I am still getting to know everyone.

Ballard:

Katelynn: We are doing great. There is so much community. If you are looking for a quiet girl's dorm, it's not that. They don't leave. It's been great and nice to see people getting out and interacting in hallways. Last year it didn't happen much. People aren't as tired as in Jan term. Lots of energy and talking at 2am. It's been great. I had my CBS meeting Friday. Our washer and dryers are terrible. I don't know if I can do anything.

Boppell:

Jamie G: It has low key lately. The semester started up and Jan term was quiet. Students went home. One constituent thinks Boppell 3rd floor study room needs a whiteboard, and it will help with homework.

Duvall:

Larkin: We are doing good. It was quiet in Jan term. Lots of quarantine and covid. We have a new RA he is very sweet. There are new residents as well and they are interacting in primetimes. I had my CBS meeting with 5 people showing up and nothing changed. I hopefully will order new vacuums because they just push around dust and don't work. Everyone is complaining about vacuums and the microwave. Other than that, ready for spring.

Oliver:

Grace: Oliver has been doing really great. I sent out my survey for the month of February and my residents are doing really great. They are looking forward to classes, and I think the break was really refreshing. I have some small monthly events I'm planning with the RA's which will be exciting to build community through. I also added some more interactive activities and prizes through my newsletters which my residents are very excited about. I had my CBS meeting last night which went well with a lot of engagement. And lastly, some exciting

news, I might have found someone who wants to run for Oliver Senator for next year.

Arend:

Samie: Arend has been good. Over Jan term and the past week, it has been energetic and lots of community in the lounges. Several constituents say they are stressed for the semester, and I plan to plan something to destress.

Campus Vibes

Logan: The super bowl is this weekend which is exciting. Warren is having a watching party with food and a potluck. You can come.

Jenna: I have two things. One is an upcoming event called interfaith dialogue. It is a super big deal for campus ministry. I have been working with neighborly faith with Christian and Muslims and how to have deep relationships. It is less of a pluralistic type thing but how do you recognize the differences in thinking and talking about that at a deep level. Christian and Muslim scholars are coming. The main event will be Friday Feb 25th at 7pm in the RTT. Lots of pizza. Invite everyone. Second thing, intramurals sign up closes tonight. Get a team if you want to play against my floor hockey team.

Rachel: From Tristy: she wanted to let you know about the EAC event coming with Emmaus and maybe BSU. Randy Woodley is a scholar and indigenous tribe member speaking on March 1st from 5-7pm. Tristy will keep us updated to promote.

Aidan: Next week please post the projects for One Pine Day especially the senior class gift. Donate to which ones you think are cool because some are worried about lack of funding in projects

Makayla: As ASWU can we promote specific projects? Can we say I am donating to certain ones?

Rachel: Yes.

Georgia: Pull up your calendars. I will wait for Logan. Friday February 18th. we have a Walker D Plank retirement party ceremony at halftime of the men's

basketball game at 8pm on Friday the 18th. Please come and tell your constituents to come because there will be huge ceremony super cool, and we have been working on it for a long time. If you can make it great if you might be dead to me. It is during halftime at the game so about an hour in. We will talk about people to work next week. Even if you can't work, come. Bring your mom and dog I don't care.

Katelynn: I have a question. Who is in charge of the inclusivity talk? Someone from the newspaper was asking.

Chris: I am trying to put it on. Eastern isn't going to attend so I am figuring it out.

Katelynn: Maggie was going to do a story on it.

Annaclare: That is yearbook

Katelynn: I was supposed to find out who was leading it.

Jason: Feb 22nd is the next Sophomore spotlight event focused on destressing and topics about destressing with help from the counseling center. Sophomore spotlights are bigfoot themed so they can make their own bigfoot stuffed animal. If there are leftovers, we may be able to hook people up but for sophomores please come at 7pm in the MPR. Other thing I want to mention is we are hearing lots of concerns about mental health and talking a lot about it. If you are hearing things and people are talking, tell them to talk to a professional staff member. Some are hearing from pod mates or house mates but the correct info needs to go to a professional staff member so we can help. We have had issues before spring and some issues this semester. We are trying our best. A lot of us in student life are talking about this and trying to do a mental health awareness month in March with other departments. More info to come. It is something we are aware of and trying our best to solve.

Jamie F: Last weekend I was hanging out with constituents, and they asked if there was an event list for this spring so they can see what is to come.

Rachel: Last year we had an A frame with dates, and we will have these once dates are solidified. Go to our Instagram.

Jason: Also HFS.

Chris: And newsletters.

Jamie C: Remind yourself you are a mandatory reporter in ASWU if you have conversations with people tell them you are a mandatory reporter and direct them to a professional in the counseling center or chapel who are not mandatory reporters, and you can talk to them safely.

Aeron: In the marketing and pr world with ASWU, I'm rebranding the ASWU organization right now. I am working on the process of branding and colors and fonts. I will be talking more about the marketing strategy later this month with finalizations.

Shoutouts

Kyle: Shoutout to the execs for hustling and doing great work for the constitution and the bylaw changes.

Rachel: Shoutout to Grace I heard she did great things with trivia night.

Georgia: Shoutout to Jamie for always working hard behind the scenes.

Motion to Adjourn Meeting

Motion by Michelle, Seconded by Grace

In favor: 18 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining 0

Motion passes

Meeting adjourned: 1807