



We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, strive to provide advocacy, a sense of belonging, and communication through grace and a holistic approach. Our members aim to represent the diverse student body and collaborate to produce an environment rich in unity, optimism, and civil discourse; while also empowering students to be their authentic selves.

2022-23 ASWU Meeting Minutes | March 1, 2023

Executive Members:

Georgia Goff President	PRESENT
Christian Aguilar Vice President	PRESENT
Michael Stavridis Financial Director	PRESENT
Sydnee Lum Marketing & PR	PRESENT

Coordinators:

Grace Johnson Campus Activities Coordinator	PRESENT
Jamie Gassman Club Coordinator	PRESENT
Reeshika Sharma Cultural Events Coordinator	PRESENT
Micah Cunningham Spiritual Life Coordinator	PRESENT
Haley Horsburgh Sustainability Coordinator	PRESENT
Larkin Dean Traditional Events Coordinator	PRESENT

Senators:

Samie Schaffer Arend Senator	PRESENT
Sierra Witte Baldwin Jenkins	PRESENT
Kenzie Quinn Ballard Senator	PRESENT
Katelynn Diaz Boppell Senator	PRESENT
Katie Chilcote Duvall Senator	PRESENT
Niraj Pandey International Student Senator	PRESENT
Lucien Dallabetta McMillan Senator	PRESENT
Grace Stiger Off-Campus Senator	PRESENT
Lotanna Akukwe Oliver Senator	ABSENT
Ava Dennis Warren Senator	PRESENT

Representatives:

Gio Coronado Incoming Student Representative	PRESENT
Maleah Robles Neighborhoods Representative	PRESENT
Bobbi Jo Crittenden Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT
Nick Yochum Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT
Hannah Sommerville Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT

Meeting brought to order at 5:01pm

Mission statement read by Kenzie

Approval Of Minutes from February 22nd, 2023:

Motioned to approve by Bobbi Jo

Seconded by Kenzie

Favor: 14 | Opposed: 0 | Abstain: 0

Special Guest

Georgia: This is Scott Mcquilkin, the President of our university. Him and I have a meeting every month regarding student concerns and so he decided to come in and speak with all of us today.

Scott: Thank you for having me. There have been some long time conversations that I'd love to discuss. First, there has been potential for development for graduate and student housing in that area where the Kippos Garden is between that Jack in the Box area. If we did that, there would be a relocation of those gardens. We will not be able to make that work right now, I do not think. I don't think any of you would see this happen in your Whitworth lifetime, it's just not plausible right now. Also there is the hiring policy conversation. We have a group of six board of trustees members as well as three campus representatives. Since mid October, they have been meeting to discuss to be able to deliver a package of recommendations over the opinions of putting sexual orientation into the non discrimination policy. The three campus representatives are Forrest Buckner, Rhosetta Rhodes, and John Pell. The spirit in which they're working surrounds who we are and what we are doing for others through difficult conversations. It begins with us in community and in relationship with one another. When we confront those difficult conversations, here is what they are doing. They are curious to seek to understand lots of viewpoints, they have a posture of humility, a willingness to listen, and a desire to fill in the gaps with good intentions. The idea of filling in the gaps of what we don't know with good intentions and good thoughts. There's emphasis on prioritizing relationships and approaching one another with respect. Although a Christian community, just understand that faithful people disagree sometimes. This group has met 12 times since mid October to mid January. They met again this afternoon. They have the best interest of the university at heart. There was a survey for faculty, staff and students regarding this topic, and there ended up being 61 pages worth of feedback, a lot of different accounts and opinions and perspectives. This community is not of one mind. There's disagreement. We invited state attorneys to know more about the specifics of the law itself. We have had visits with the advisory committee, we visit with former presidents of universities that both have made changes to language and those who have not. Trustees aren't setting an official date on this matter. However, they are not wishing to draw this out to no end. They are having meetings in April and will have more conversations. At some point, they will determine and assess this. In the time they have met, they are moving forward and making progress. So that's what I wanted to share on. Happy to share on that.

Niraj: Thank you so much for being here with us. I know that this conversation has been taking place for a long time and I know of some student groups who have already met with the board and have not been very optimistic at all about what they experienced in the meeting with the board. I'm scared this will be another "song and dance" that we do at the same point and same spot.

Scott: I can recall different conversations about this topic in previous years at Whitworth. In 2015, ASWU actually brought a resolution to the board. I've been aware of this problem for awhile since I've been here. I won't predict what they board will or will not do. The board needs to do that in confidence with one another. That's all I want to say and all I will say.

Jason: I think from my point of view, this is the biggest step the university has taken in this matter. Good intentions and good faith.

Georgia: I have been looking through the history of Whitworth and ASWU which is formally known as ASWC and to me, these actions are much bigger than ones we have seen in the past. It's hard to truly get a full grasp on this issue when we are all here for only about four years.

Christian: I would also like to add that back in the fall when there were Board of Trustee meetings occurring, two board members asked us our opinions on this topic. Certain things came out of that conversations. Members in this room got to speak to those things which is really cool.

Michael: In terms of the graduate housing, could we get some more information about it? I'm confused why graduate housing is something the university is thinking about, and how graduate housing would be, and what rules would apply to them.

Scott: Why graduate student housing? That's a great question. We have made so many advancements in these new doctoral programs here at Whitworth with people coming to partake in it from all around the country. With a graduate housing, they could find housing in the area but also be able to thrive. Even though these programs are for graduate students, they are built to support undergraduate education. We would have additional revenue. Graduate housing would be helpful because of how convenient it is. It would technically be off-campus housing.

Georgia: Feel free to email me with questions for Scott if you have any additionally that come up later as well.

Scott: To close, I just wanted to tell you that when I meet with Georgia, I say "What do you got?" and ask about conversations to be had, issues happening, here's what I think is important for students to know, etc. Thanks everybody for carving out time for having me.

Club Coordinator Updates

Approvals

Bowling Club

Jamie: We are going to start off with club approval for the Bowling Club.

Motioned to approve by Bobbi Jo

Seconded by Lucien

Favor: 15 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining: 0

Updates

Psi Chi

Cassie: Hi! I'm Cassie with Psi Chi or the Psychology Club. We are an International Society but also a club on campus for psychology majors. The first meeting of the month is open for everyone. We've had a couple of events such as a clothing drive, a Bob Ross paint night, and more. We have some upcoming things such as T-shirts, lunch with professors, things like that.

Jason: How was the Bob Ross paint night? How many people showed up?

Cassie: About 10 excluding our leadership. It was really fun.

Business Club

Kolby: I am Kolby and I am the president of Business Club. We try to help people network and help people get their foot in the door. We have a lot of workshops such as LinkedIn workshops. Last month, we had a Women in Leadership panel which had about 45 people.

Bobbi Jo: Can anyone join the club?

Kolby: Yes. To join, you just come to the meetings and we'll get you involved.

Men's Soccer Club

James: This is our second semester as a club. There's a lot of positive growth. An additional 20 players have joined our club so we have about 50 consistent members. We try to help out our sister club as much as possible, which is the Women's Soccer Club.

Jason: How do people join your club?

James: Come to a soccer practice and get in touch with one of the captains including myself and we will get you all joined.

Jason: Where do y'all practice?

James: We reserve two courts in the gym sometimes or go to Omachi.

Speaker Proposal

Turning Point USA

Grace: We are requesting a man named Andrew Greene and he works at the Leadership Institute where I was over the summer. He would talk about the first amendment and his take on it from a conservative christian perspective. Anyone is invited to the meeting as always and it wouldn't cost ASWU anything. He will talk and then open it up to discussion.

Jamie: How open to other people's views is he?

Grace: Very. He grew up as a pastors kid and is very open to other viewpoints and to other political and religious views. He's a very nice person and a very nice guy, so not a concern at all.

Guest: I thought that Turning Point is an economically conservative club, so what does the first amendment have to do with that?

Grace: We are just a political club on campus, so every month we have different events on topics such as school choice, socialism, etc. It's for those who want more information and we open it up for discussion as well. All views are welcome.

Guest: How come there is no cost to ASWU?

Grace: Fortunately, through our organization, there are grants for these types of things. We can request him through the organization and they cover the costs.

Financial Director Updates

Finance Committee & Account Totals

Capital : \$13,900 | Unallocated: \$10,045

Michael: Finance Committee met on Monday and we approved a series of requisitions. We need to approve one as an assembly. We approved 80 dollars for Turning Point USA for some expenses like printing. 300 dollars for the Icecream Club for their budget for the rest of the year. We approved Whitcode for 100 dollars for a coding competition for prizes. We approved 300 dollars for roundnet club for a tournament fee, and 400 dollars for students to travel to the Black Engineering Conference. Then we need to vote on one requisition. It will be for Katie for Duvall Drive In. The Finance Committee approved 1,150 dollars. This is subject to change as you guys talk about things. The breakdown would be 800 dollars for the copyright fee, 200 dollars for the AV team, 50 dollars for advertising, 100 dollars for snacks. It would be coming out of unallocated.

Haley: Is the copyright fee a flat amount or is it depending on the movie?

Michael: It is between 600-800 dollars but dependent on the movie. We can't get around that one.

Niraj: How many students do you expect at this event?

Katie: I'm hoping for 60-100 people to attend if not more but opening up and advertising for all of campus.

Kenzie: If you guys pick a movie with a higher copyright fee what will you do then?

Katie: We will narrow down the choices to be below 800 dollars hopefully and probably.

Motioned to approve by Katelynn

Seconded by Bobbi Jo

Favor: 15 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining: 0

Ava: How much did she ask for?

Michael: She asked for 1,600 dollars originally, but we decided some expenses were not necessary so we approved for 1,150 dollars. The breakdown would be 800 dollars for the copyright fee, 200 dollars for the AV team, 50 dollars for advertising, 100 dollars for snacks. It would be coming out of unallocated.

Ava: Is that pretty standard with this event?

Michael: I think we decided it was pretty standard for what she is spending on.

Larkin: I think that's pretty standard since I did it last year as well.

Ava: Was it the same amount?

Jason: The cost of the movie was less but copyright fees go up.

Christian: Katie mentioned advertising to all of campus which helps the whole campus as well.

Jessica: I'm just wondering what her event was in the fall?

Kenzie: Fenton's.

Niraj: Do we base traditional events budget off of how many people could come through past references or did she provide any empirical data?

Larkin: Again, this seems like a typical amount for what she is doing.

Michael: She didn't provide empirical data. At the end of the day, we are looking at the costs that she is requesting, and for the event she wants to put on, there's not really a way to get around those costs.

Niraj: That's coming from our budget, right?

Michael: Yes.

President Updates

Staffing Update

Georgia: I'm going to be speaking on behalf of a few people in this room. Chime in if you need to. I want to update some people on some changes. Jessica is stepping down from her role, Reeshika is stepping in as the Cultural Events Coordinator. Grace will be the Off Campus Senator, which means we have an Off Campus Representative position open.

Bobbi Jo: So for your search for this position, should I update the Instagram page to be advertising this?

Jason: No, we want it faster.

Georgia: Additionally, Liam is replacing Sydnee in the role of Incoming Student Representative. Thank you for stepping into this role.

Christian: Jason and I will be leading the charge for the Off Campus Representative position search.

Board of Trustees Meeting

Georgia: The Board of Trustees are meeting in April, and they like Student representatives, so I will send an email about that shortly.

Coordinator Application Reminder

Georgia: The coordinator applications are open now until tonight at 11:59pm. We tend to get a lot in those last few moments.

Vice President Updates

Student Highlight

Christian: The Student Highlight this week is Mala Hefa. She helped shovel off the front steps of Ballard out of a night of heavy snow. She thought of her community and their safety.

Meal Cards

Christian: As always, come grab a meal card from me after the meeting and enjoy a meal with the team! Everyone is welcome.

Events: Past Events

Awkward Middle School Dance

Kenzie: It was on Friday. The breakdown comes out to \$3.50 per person. 150 people showed up. Sickness and weekend put a bit of a damper on it. The DJ had a blast however, and everyone had a blast. It was a great time.

Christian: I just wanna add that sickness hit hard. Those numbers are impressive. The drink advertising was so so good.

Katie: We went and we really really enjoyed it. I haven't heard anything bad.

Katelynn: I was there with a few friends and we all agreed it was the most fun we had at any dance ever. The DJ was really great. The DJ was a topic of convo most of the night.

Georgia: The pictures from events were great, and gained traction to future events. That got a lot of feedback, so that's really great.

Harlem Renaissance Ball

Jessica: We had 110 people show up to the event on Saturday. It was a really great time. We had speakers talk about some advocacy work and reflecting ideas. We then had formal dinner and then we topped it off with some dancing. It went very well and I felt underdressed since everyone was so extravagant, but I had a lot of fun.

Katie: I loved this event. I took my host student there. She was raving about the inclusivity she experienced. There were dance circles and people were tugging her and teaching her to dance. Jessica, you did a fantastic job at including voices. The community we saw was so inviting and warming. She had a great time.

Jessica: I cannot take all of the credit, so major props to Isaac also. Thank you to him.

Georgia: I know everyone looked forward to it and had a really great time and I appreciate what you did by putting this on.

Jamie: Good job working with clubs and bringing them into events. I think we should do that more.

Spring Club Fair

Jamie: About 60-75 people trotted through. There was a good lunch rush. Some clubs had a lot of signups. Successful I would say.

Reeshika: Great job.

Christian: It was really easy to know which club was where, and Jamie did a great job being flexible with that. Feedback for next year would be to have more people drawing people in to get people to come in

Gio: Probably one of the best setups I've seen in the MPR for fairs. Also, the nitrogen lemonade was awesome.

Events: Upcoming Events

Movie Night

Grace: Movie Night at Wandermere will be this Friday, March 3rd at 8:30pm. We will be playing Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. Tickets sold out after about a day of being put out so I am really proud and pumped for it. Everyone in attendance will be able to get a free medium popcorn and a free small drink. It will be lots of fun. I'm hoping to collect feedback from those exiting. I'll let you know next week more related to that.

Comedian Eric O'Shea

Jason: This is a joint event between Student Activities and ASWU. Student activities paying, aswu gonna put it on. He is named a naca legend award winner last year because hes performed at 2000 colleges and universities. He is hilarious, he does a good impression. Hes got viral videos on youtube. Next tuesday 7:30pm mpr. Posters. Advertise the event. I need help with the event.

Marine Core Battle Procession

Georgia: On March 9th, Phil Labree will be here for the Marine Core Battle Procession. We are looking for two volunteer to work this event. You would either be floating or scanning tickets. Super easy. You would need to be there from 4:45pm-6:00pm. You would be welcome to stay for the entire performance. We are wanting to push this to our students, we want The Fieldhouse packed.

Jamie: How do we get tickets?

Georgia: The Whitworth website.

Katie: Could you tell us more about what the event is?

Georgia: Battle Procession is the top of the top of the Marine Core. They perform drills very expertly done, it is incredibly unique to see this. They were just at a Kraken game. We have them here with us. I can provide you with more visuals if you need as they have videos online.

Sydnee: How much are the tickets?

Georgia: Tickets are free, you just need to reserve them through the Whitworth website.

Pirate Mania

Larkin: Pirate Mania is Monday, the 13th in The Fieldhouse. There will be food, games, prizes, and more. It will be from 7pm-9pm

Georgia: Do you need any volunteers?

Larkin: Not at this time.

Casino Night

Larkin: This is an "all hands on deck" event. It is March 18 from 8pm-11pm. Half of you will be doing setup, the other half will be doing teardown. Setup is at 4pm. Everyone else needs to be there at 7pm in the fieldhouse. Event itself is from 8pm-11pm.

Constituency Reports

Boppell

Katelynn: Boppell is great. The vibe has been very good this week. Boppell learned this week that we can hook up bikes and lock them to the bike hook up thing. Other than that there is no new news, which is good news.

Duvall

Katie: Duvall has been somewhat uneventful. Everyone is content - the second floor is continually full of students from about 2pm to 12 am just about every day. Seeing all the smiling faces of students just talking laughing and studying always makes my day. So far there is still sometimes a lingering smell from the water and smoke damage but it's not too bad. It sounds like the pod 205 hopefully will be back

in by the 3rd but no promises. Keep the two pods below the one who caught on fire in your thoughts and prayers as they are still currently displaced.

BJ

Sierra: Howdy! BJ has some mixed feelings about the snow. Initially, it was dislike because it makes everything harder, but yesterday everyone was quite pleased to have the morning off! Other than snow, I'd say BJ is pretty normal. We had some fun prime times, including a great turnout on Saturday for a music themed game night prime time. We also have been greatly enjoying watching the Bachelor together on Sunday nights. I also completed part of my ongoing mission to identify prizes for casino night and some of the ideas were gifts cards to Chick-fil-A or movie theaters, nerf guns, Whitworth swag or bookstore gift card, and a heated blanket. I'll keep asking around but that's what I've heard so far. I hope you all are doing well!

Arend

Samie: Arend has been pretty quiet. We have been participating in Duvall-Arend Joint primetimes like cookie/cupcake decorating competitions. We also have been trying out a new laundry method to keep the laundry room clear which has been going pretty well. I'm also still on the hunt for a new ping-pong net to replace our broken one.

Off-Campus Senator:

Grace: Snow is making the roads bad, for classes. Students are tired and/or getting sick as we know. They're

Warren

Ava: I had my CBS meeting and about 20 people showed up. We added a sign up sheet for laundry. I hope that works out but just a little bit scared of the consistency and clothes being taken out. Weirdly, I got asked to put Sierra Mist in the vending machine. Also, I think our printer may be broken.

McMillan

Lucien: McMillan is as lively as ever. A long game of Lord of the Rings Mafia has taken over our halls (generously hosted by our lovely CMCs). Forty-five students, in and out of McMillan, are participating and it is definitely the talk of our halls. Other fun things happening are our weekly game nights which are always well attended and fun, and of course the general impromptu chaos that exists on daily basis! Milk and Cookies is tonight at 10:55 PM as usual! Be there for fun times and good community.

Ballard

Kenzie: Ballard is doing alright, everyone is tired and stressed since the semester is over a month underway. We've got milk and cookies tonight, and a current 45 person game of mafia! Spring break is on the horizon and we're all very excited to get outta here for a week!

Neighborhoods

Maleah: The neighborhood is doing well! My constituents seem very excited about the upcoming Casino Night, and have mentioned they are anticipating gift cards! Unfortunately, what most people don't seem too thrilled about is the open house event idea. It seems that most people don't feel comfortable displaying their homes, which is understandable. My next goal is to figure out how I can better assist those who are interested in house tours and how that would look like for such a small pool of people who would be participating.

International Senator

Niraj: The international students are good. We just had our food event Top Chef which was an absolute success. We are grateful for that.

Incoming Student Representatives:

Gio: Spring semester, though it still feels like winter, is going really well at the moment, though it is really cold and snow is still falling, our incoming students are still out here surviving the semester. The first couple of quizzes and exams are coming up that we are not excited about but are getting through it. We are really excited about the intramurals coming up, especially basketball! Life is still going well.

Campus Vibes

Lucien: Saint Joan is a play that Kenzie is in and my partner is in. It is next weekend. Tickets are somewhere. There is also a poster in the hub.

Haley: EAC sent out a survey about the graduate housing in the garden, and although we are happy to hear from Scott about it not happening, I'd love to share the data we got from it. We got data that the high majority didn't and does not want that to happen. We got mostly no's from seniors or graduates as well which is pretty well representative of the audience it would've been geared towards.

Christian: Sickness has been going around. I'm happy that people are responsible with testing and isolating, but let's support those people because that gets lonely at times.

Shoutouts

Jamie Shoutout to Georgia for taking my place for a few minutes. And shoutout to Haley and Samie for staying there for over half of the club fair.

Bobbi Jo: Shoutout to Grace for taking on a bigger position, Jessica for all you do and did, and Reeshika for taking on another big job as well.

Gio: Shoutout to Jason for finding me a partner, I'm excited to have another incoming student rep with me.

Jason: Shoutout to Niraj for the Top Chef, it was great!

Christian: Shoutout to Ava for implementing change within her residence hall. Shoutout to Niraj for advocating for his constituency regarding curriculum and language. Shoutout to Grace for stepping into that position of Off Campus Senator. Shoutout to Liam for the same thing for being here and stepping into that new role. Shoutout to Isaac for always stepping in when Sierra is running late or can't make it.

Katie: Shoutout to Liam, welcome. We appreciate new faces and friends in ASWU. Thanks Grace for you and for stepping into your new role as well.

Niraj: Shoutout to the CDA team for hosting Top Chef. And shoutout to Whitworth Dining as well for that.

Bobbi Jo: Shoutout to Laurie for being here and we just appreciate you for supporting us, especially with Jason leaving soon.

Jessica: Shoutout to everyone. Please don't pretend I'm dead. I'm not a stranger and I'll still be around. You have all been a wonderful team, and thank you all for a wonderful year.

Haley: Shoutout to Georgia for organizing Scott to come talk at our meeting, and to Scott for coming and speaking to us. Thank you both for talking about these things.

Christian: Shoutout to Grace for tickets to her event being sold out in a day. I've heard so many people excited for this event, so that's really awesome.

Michael: Shoutout to the Finance Committee. We have been dealing with some larger requests so shoutout to them.

Grace: Shoutout to Michael, Laurie, and Christian for teaching me to do so much and helping me with learning the ropes with so much.

Motioned to adjourn by Bobbi Jo

Seconded by Niraj

Favor: 15 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining : 0

Meeting adjourned at 6:24pm
