



We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, are dedicated to building an inclusive and equitable atmosphere by serving the holistic student body. We will advocate for the well-being of all students, collaborate with campus partners to provide proactive support, and uplift the diverse experiences within all aspects of our community.

## 2021-22 ASWU Meeting Minutes | October 27, 2021

### **In Attendance:**

Rachel Ayres   President	present
Chris Clay   Vice President	present
Abby Douglas   Financial Director	present
Grant Hill   Communications Director	present
Hannah Sommerville   Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Georgia Goff   School Spirit Coordinator	present
Tristy Osbon   Sustainability Coordinator	present
Aidan Walsh   Senior Class Coordinator	present
Aeron Sugui   Marketing/PR Coordinator	present
Sienna Buster   Traditional Events Coordinator	present
Jenna Breedlove   Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Jessica Lopez-Ramirez   Cultural Events Coordinator	present
Jamie Copeland   Club Coordinator	present
Christian Aguilar   Outreach Coordinator	present
Grace Johnson   Oliver Senator	present
Hans Tamminga   McMillan Senator	present
Katelynn Diaz   Ballard Senator	present
Adaeze Njoku   Boppell Senator	absent
Larkin Dean   Duvall Senator	present
Logan Spencer   Warren Senator	proxy

Ethan Strand   Arend Senator	present
Rebecca Kay   Stewart Senator	present
Kyle Marquez   Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Reeshika Sharma   Off-Campus Senator	present
Michael Lie   International Student Senator	present
Cameron Joslyn   Neighborhood Senator	present
Munya Fashu-Kanu   Off Campus Rep	late
Marie Fenske   Off Campus Rep	present
Courtney Cossette   Off Campus Rep	present
Jamie Furr   Off Campus Rep	present
Makayla Pugmire   Off Campus Rep	present
Michelle Lie   Incoming Student Rep	present
Elisa Vigil   Incoming Student Rep	present
Hannah Loesch   Village Rep	absent

---

Meeting brought to order at 1700.  
Mission statement read by Jamie F.

---

**Motion to Approve Minutes**

Moved by Michelle, Seconded by Larkin

Discussion: None

In favor: 17 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining 0  
Motion passes

---

**Club Coordinator Updates**

Jamie C: Today we have History Club and Artist's Cooperative

- History Club

Kyle: I am Kyle the president of the club. History club is currently rechartering. We rechartered end of last year and we are working to bring it back to life. Our big thing right now is that we are doing sing along with Dale Soden in the the next few weeks. If you know Dale you know he likes historical songs. Currently our

membership is low. We are in the process of getting people back into the history club. We are currently trying to not only draw freshman into the department but also build community as a whole. COVID took a hit on us so the history department is trying to have an outreach platform and work on building quality relationships with others.

Jamie: Who is a good contact?

Kyle: The best contact would be me. We don't have a meeting time yet. We are working it out. Email me or our advisor. My email is kevers23@my.whitworth.edu

Georgia: Is there a process for becoming a member?

Kyle: Show up and show interest. We don't have a solidified process yet; we are starting from square one.

Rebecca: What do the meetings entail?

Kyle: We usually talk about historical events. Meetings are for club updates as well. People are busy and it's been tricky getting the officers planning to get the club back up and running. Biweekly meetings are the hope.

#### - Artist's Cooperative

Auburn: I have lots of notes for you all. Art club has been quiet until this year. Working on creating opportunities to do art things like designing stickers or scenes. We are working with other clubs to do murals. There are murals at Kipos garden which is from our club meeting up. We sometimes work with other clubs to show up to events and do art making or teaching each other to make new things. We have worked with other clubs to make posters as well. The political science club made designs and we are working together. We do peer critiques as well. You don't have to be art student to join. If you are interested in art please come. Our new event we want to keep going is on Nov 5<sup>th</sup> and it is an art festival. There are posters hanging up. Cool whip, Jubilation, Artists Cooperative, and others will be there. 2-D art, 3-D art, acting, music, reading, and other art will be there. We recommend to go to see your peers work. We have stickers as well. I brought a couple if you want some. They are super cool. Any questions?

Ethan: Who is your contact?

Auburn: [Alindquist22@my.whitworth.edu](mailto:Alindquist22@my.whitworth.edu) is my email. We meet every Thursday at 4:30 in the art building.

Georgia: How many members do you have?

Auburn: We have 5 confirmed officers and 10 people consistently coming. Membership is loose. You can show up and do art if you want but we like an RSVP for events. We send out emails about this.

Jamie: Thank you. In the next week we will charter two new clubs. Look in your emails.

Makayla: Can you leave stickers?

Auburn: Yes

---

### **Financial Director Updates**

Capital: 19,200

Unallocated: 18,860

Travel: 5,780

- Finance Committee Reminder

Abby: Account balances have gone down since last time. We are meeting tomorrow for finance committee with a requisition on the table and we will vote next week. That's all.

---

### **President Updates**

- Bus Pass Subcommittee Update

Rachel: The bus pass committee meets regularly every 2 weeks. We are making headway to offset costs of the bus passes. We are looking at administrations to find money, such as one pine day, help a pirate, and other programs through institutional advancement. If you have creative ideas let us know, we are working on hopefully solidifying things soon.

Chris: I was talking to Sodexo earlier today and they would love to help support getting students to go to the Pines. They wanted to know if the safety committee can look at the effect on the lights to going to the pines. Chet is interested in hearing your thoughts.

---

### **Vice President Updates**

- Town Hall

Chris: The surveys just finished. We had 227 responses. With that we had 153 people said they believed a town hall would be effective. We will solidify the event details soon due to this response. Let me know if you want to support to be there. We are looking for speakers Cam, and student engagement, faculty, and staff to support students and have constructive conversations. Remember the date is November 22<sup>nd</sup> from 6pm-8pm in the HUB MPR open to everyone but with priority in speaking order to on-campus students in order to create constructive conversations on protocol and guidelines. Reading the surveys will be anonymous and you can see how you can support constituents as well if you attend.

- Sweatshirts

Chris: Make sure senators you are getting to your constituents. There are some designs out there I have heard. I am proud of you. If you need support I am here.

- Newsletters

Chris: Continue doing what you do. Make sure to do them properly and go to the training manual if you need support. I am in my office a lot if you need further support.

- Meal Cards

Chris: We will provide meal cards to those, prioritized for off campus and neighborhoods, who came to the meeting today. They are for Sodexo to eat dinner with us as a team.

- Student Highlight

Chris: Jericho Simone is our student highlight this week. Shoutout to your great work in debates. The arguing Bucs took first place this weekend. Shoutout to you

for being great and arguing well. Meet me after the meeting and we will have Sodexo gift card for access to coffee or the pines for a free drink.

Senators if you know of student highlights let me know. Its difficult to extend to myself in all aspect to campus. Coordinators as well just let me know of great people in our community.

---

## **Past Events**

- Mac Haunted House

Hans: It was great. We are recovering still. It was a 19-hour project for people working straight. They were all volunteers, not getting paid. I cannot take any credit. The volunteers were great, and Katelynn was great. The community was awesome. Went well as far as I know.

Katelynn: People liked it a lot.

Hans: The line got long, but it was cool to see people show up. We had 450 people, so it was \$4.50 per person. Actually maybe \$2 per person, I don't have the actual amount yet.

Rachel: I saw a video and it looked great.

Chris: Was it scary?

Marie: I went to scary wood and the haunted house was worse.

Katelynn: I walked through it 20 times and it was scary. Each time it got scarier as I walked through.

Ethan: I heard mostly positive feedback. Afterwards there were 30 people talking about how great it was outside Arend. It was a cool event. The Squid Game part was awesome.

Larkin: I also heard mostly positive feedback. It was fun. The best part was people listening and dancing to music while they were waiting for people to scare. They were listening to 80s music. It was a cool interaction.

Rebecca: I had lots of people say it was great. My RA was out there and she said it was awesome. The line was a little long. I waited an hour after the time slot that I signed up for and nobody came to get us. I was a little agitated, but you were trying your hardest. It was worth the wait. It was not super scary because I don't get scared in haunted houses very easily. I loved the Dr. Who part.

Emma: It was really great. I almost peed. It was scary. The last part especially. The length of the event was perfect. You would go outside of Mac and think it ended but then you went downstairs. It was excitement the whole time. Kudos to the volunteers.

Georgia: In regard to the volunteers, it was good for them because it was well organized and nice to see the hard work put in. It was also fun to scare people. It was fun and I'm not really a scary person. The people working 19 hours still enjoyed it.

Christian: One thing we need to work on is the line for time slots and timing it efficiently. Maybe we can use HFS to streamline that. There were some signups through HFS but it didn't guarantee a time slot. How do we make that more efficient?

Jamie F: The only negative feedback was that sign-ups were weird and they had to wait longer than expected. I volunteered and it was a blast. I made like 200 people scream. Hans and Katelynn did great.

Visitor: It was amazing, and I was terrified. Whoever the girl on the car outside was was screaming her head off for like 2-3 hours, it was very impressive. Using the app would be a great idea to coordinate and would make people more aware of HFS. It might require some forward planning. The line was long, and the group I was with was worried we wouldn't make it through, but they adapted. Great job.

Katelynn: If you have problems with line length, that was unique to our year. There were lots of issues with people not able to walk back and forth between Warren and Mac to communicate.

Jason: That happens every year.

- Monster Mash

Emma: Logan says "Saturday was rough, and it was my first event, but Christian helped a lot. We had 415 in attendance, and most were waiting for the haunted house. We had fun dancing." There was some miscommunication between Logan and Katelynn for signing up for the haunted house. It was made up on the spot, but we got it done. It was hot in there too.

Rebecca: It was fun. Jason's costume was great

Jason: It was just a red striped shirt.

Cam: It was a great event. One thing I wish was more carefully considered was enforcing masks. Nobody had a mask on it seemed like.

- Off-Campus Movie

Reeshika: It was okay only 17 people showed up.

Makayla: I went. One downside to advertising and a few people said this, it wasn't in HFS in time to have people pre-register which might've affected attendance. People who went enjoyed it. The Garland was great. Plus, the time coincides with the football game and other events. Not surprised by low attendance but a bit inconvenient.

Courtney: We will send a survey for what times work best for off campus students and experiment with that data for next time.

---

### **Upcoming Events:**

- Etiquette Dinner

Michael: On Nov 5<sup>th</sup> for international students there is a dinner. I am collaborating with career services. We have 30 reservations through handshake. The event is what to do in professional settings and how to dress and interacting in these settings.

- Neighborhoods Progressive Dinner



Cam: I am excited and terrified for the event. It is lots of moving parts when you have constituents working to host the event as well. There are some communication challenges we are figuring out. I sent an urgent email looking for responses to see what the menu items are. Our requisition is pending, and we are voting tomorrow. Hopefully next Wednesday you all will vote on it. I'm stoked for the event. I hope it paves a way for new options for the neighborhoods. It is on Nov 6<sup>th</sup> which is Saturday from 5-7pm. If you want to see more, there will be posters soon. Basically, there will be to-go boxes and a menu with addresses and the dishes at that house. You go to those houses and come back and eat at the KIPOS garden with heaters and sheltered seating and music playing.

- Late Night Karaoke

Hannah S: The plan is a late-night breakfast and karaoke event on November 18<sup>th</sup>. The time is TBD but maybe 9:30 pm. We are catering IHOP and will be doing karaoke set up. It will be a fun study break.

Larkin: What is the location?

Hannah S: MPR. Posters coming soon.

- Oliver Twist

Grace: Same information as last week. It will be on Saturday November 20<sup>th</sup> from 8-10 pm. It will be open to all students and this year is a 70s themed dance. Come dressed as 70s attire. My email is best method of contact. I am finalizing everything and getting it planned. I'm excited. Spread the word.

- ASWU Thanksgiving

Rachel: We mentioned this last week. It is on November 21<sup>st</sup> from 5:30-7pm with a tentative location. We can now announce that we will be at the president's house. We will have a potluck over there. It will be a fun time.

Chris: Bring basketball shoes, they have a court.

---

## **Constituency Reports**

### **International Students:**

Michael: We are doing great. In the upcoming fall break a few people are going to Seattle and Portland and visiting places. Before this meeting I talked about on campus dining with students and the feedback I receive is interesting. The returning students think Sodexo is doing good with food satisfaction. The first years think it's not good. Sodexo has been keeping up with students and you can now reserve chicken pizza to be made. Positive things I've heard.

**Neighborhoods:**

Cam: We are doing good. We are all so ready for break. Four days is not long enough. It's very low energy. Midterms are kicking our butts. My roommate sent a message at 3:30 am saying if you don't hear me at 6:30 am come wake me up I have a midterm at 7:45. It's been rough, but break should give people energy to finish the semester.

**Ballard:**

Katelynn: We are on a high after the haunted house. We had 50-70 volunteers, there were so many Ballard girls who helped. I had to get Mac men to join. It was awesome. There is a lot of energy in Ballard. I am not used to that. It's been good overall. People are in the lounges. Upperclassman who are in Ballard said it was weird to see people out of their rooms hanging out.

**Boppell:**

Not present

**Duvall:**

Larkin: We are doing great. Pod parties were last night. About 2 pods per floor participated. Everyone was all dressed up. I am getting polls for sweatshirts. I am having RAs help distribute the polls so I can get it done. There will be stickers for other designs that didn't get picked for sweatshirts. Duvall wants fall break.

**McMillan:**

Hans: We are doing good. We are recovering from the haunted house. Practically speaking we are picking things up still. Everything is going wrong as usual. Bad Wi-Fi. Washing room is flooding again. No hot water again. In other news some of the freshmen are starting a music group.

**Arend:**

Ethan: Vibes are never better. People are acing their midterms.

**Stewart:**

Rebecca: We are doing okay. I asked around to people about what I can do for them. They are upset about the shower curtains not closing all the way. It only closes  $\frac{3}{4}$  the way. There is a gap on both sides and people are upset.

Jason: Talk to facilities

Rebecca: A sink is also blocked and there is food in there. The water fountain is moldy. It's great. On the bright side I have had 3 designs for sweatshirts. I reached out to people, and some forgot but I got cool submissions. People loved the events this weekend. We are excited for fall break. People are having WIFI problems. Walking back earlier from Weyerhaeuser to Stewart, the entire street had lights out or were dead. It's scary to walk that way so I avoid it. It's hard because the cars can't see you either.

**Baldwin-Jenkins:**

Kyle: We are doing good. Everyone wants to go home for break. Its everyone's first year for a break. RAs are doing good effort into primetimes. People who are there are enjoying them. I have a poll out with a QR code for sweatshirts so they can respond and get answers for that.

**Incoming Student Reps:**

Michelle: Update from Sodexo: Chris sent an email to Sodexo and they sent one back and gave an option to set up a meeting.

Elisa: It has been a solid week. I had 1 response to the newsletter and 1 person came to my office hours. Everyone is in a different spot with midterms all over. Some have them after break. Some went on break early. We are excited for break.

**Off Campus:**

Reeshika: We are good. I am sending a newsletter this week. It will include a survey.

**The Village:**

Not Present

**Oliver:**

Grace: We are good. I see people lacking engagement sometimes. WIFI has been out. There has been stress with midterms. We are ready for break. I got followed by some shirtless guy at 2:30am into Oliver. It was creepy. Nothing else.

Kyle: Was he middle aged and had a walking stick?

Grace: No. it was from the back lot. He came inside. He left after. I told security.

**Warren:**

Emma: Logan says "Warren is good and busy with midterms. Lots of monster mash attendance. Shoutout to DJ. We are getting some sweatshirt designs that is looking good. Primetimes have not been busy, maybe 1 person consistently showing. Midterms is likely why.

---

**Campus Vibes**

Makayla: I am in process of chartering a club for the food pantries on campus. Right now, we are looking for students interested in officer positions or sharing testimony. I am making a list. I will reach out to constituents. In addition, we are drafting a proposal to join in the bid to have space in the veterans lounge. We are wanting to move the pantry from the sociology depart to the Hub. We don't know what it will look like. We also want to expand the preexisting one in the sociology department. I am collaborating with other pantries in sociology and the ISC as well. If you have questions or have interested constituents about running a food drive let me know my email is mpugmire22@my.whitworth.edu. I look forward to responses.

Aeron: We have an ASWU website. Here's a preview with the new coding. One problem it has this week is if you search it on google it would not show up. Now it will show up. It was only showing up with the Instagram link. It has minutes, clubs, events, and more.

Jenna: There is 3 events coming up. Lecture from Jamar Tisby will be in GE next week. CMCs and other leadership will be there. There is also another lecture Tuesday night from 7-8 in the RTT. He wrote books what are cool. Applications for things are opening for next year. The Fellowship program through the office of

church engagement is doing info nights. One is November 17<sup>th</sup> from 5-6:30 in the chapel. Emmaus is an intentional Christian community in the neighborhood houses by Kipos. They are doing an info session on Tuesday November 9<sup>th</sup> from 7-7:45 in the chapel conference room. If you know people who are interested tell them and add it to your newsletters.

Jamie F: I have been to off campus houses recently and they are happy about events going on on-campus and they feel involved. Last year they were isolated. It is encouraging to hear they are doing good.

Jessica: Diwali is Friday Nov 5<sup>th</sup> from 7-9pm in the HUB MPR. I collaborated with Asian Alliance to celebrate as well. It is an important holiday for Indian culture. Signups will be available next meeting after fall break. Cultural awareness week and international fest are November. I am excited. I-fest is international festival on Friday November 19<sup>th</sup> at 6pm inside the dining hall. We have cultural awareness week November 15<sup>th</sup> leading up to I-fest. I am hosting 2 events I will get into more details later. Keep it on your radar.

Ethan: Can you repeat dates the dates

Jason: Hot off the press, decided today. December 4<sup>th</sup> will be a retirement party for Walker D. Plank and revealing our new pirate mascot character. It will be at the Whitman basketball game. It will be at halftime during the men's game with a little ceremony introducing our new friend. Also, I had long talk with Scott McQuilkin and we want to give you all Friday and Monday off. Take a break. We will call it fall break.

---

## Shoutouts

Rachel: Today is special holiday. It is national mentorship day. Jason Chapman is mentor to many of us. We have picture of us as a team as a gift for you. We appreciate you. You have an amazing passion for what you do and thank you.

Hans: Shoutout to Katelynn, she was my rock throughout the haunted house. She went above and beyond. I left the weekend before and disappeared and she planned frantically. She is awesome.

Chris: Shoutout to everyone with events this weekend and the hard work. It does not go unnoticed.

Christian: Shoutout to Hannah for reading my stuff last week and bringing me soup.

Katelynn: Shoutout to Christian and Georgia. They dealt with me fixing things before the haunted house and nothing I was saying probably made sense. Georgia was my emotional support.

***Motion to Adjourn Meeting***

Motion by Cam, Seconded by Larkin

In favor: 15 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining 0

Motion passes

Meeting adjourned: 1750