



2019-20 ASWU Meeting Minutes | September 4th, 2019

In attendance:

| | |
|--|---------|
| Rohini Vyas President | present |
| Katie Rose EVP | present |
| Faizzan Ul Haq FVP | present |
| Amariah Adams EAA | present |
| | |
| Emily Clemons Campus Activities Coordinator | present |
| Cameron Rutherford Sports Events Coordinator | present |
| Bryn Redal Sustainability Coordinator | late |
| Astrid Le Roy Senior Class Coordinator | present |
| Sophia Lizberg PR/Marketing Coordinator | present |
| Parker Daniels Special Events Coordinator | present |
| Laura Waltar Spiritual Life Coordinator | present |
| Theresa Chowa Cultural Events Coordinator | present |
| Sarah Ogren Club Coordinator | present |
| | |
| Levi Gionet Oliver Senator | present |
| Sean Duarte McMillan Senator | present |
| Daniella Echeagaray Warren Senator | present |
| Elizabeth Puskarits Ballard Senator | present |
| Miranda Leger Arend Senator | present |
| Hannah Higgins Baldwin-Jenkins Senator | present |
| Olivia Fowler Boppell and Village Senator | present |
| Jed Young Stewart Senator | present |
| Emma Edmonds Off-Campus Senator | present |
| TBD Theme House Senator | absent |
| TBD Duvall Senator | absent |

| | |
|--|--------|
| TBD Off-Campus Representative | absent |
| TBD Off-Campus Representative | absent |
| TBD Off-Campus Representative | absent |
| TBD Arend & Boppell Representative | absent |
| TBD Baldwin-Jenkins & Stewart Representative | absent |
| TBD Duvall & Oliver Representative | absent |
| TBD Warren Representative | absent |
| TBD Global Engagement Representative | absent |

Meeting brought to order at 5:00 PM in ASWU Chambers.

Honored original caretakers of the land.

Honoring 9/11

Mission Statement read by Parker.

Approval of Minutes

Motion by Hannah, seconded by Levi
pass unanimously

Sarah: Official club charter policy says a lot about FVP because they oversaw the club charter committee. This year it's chartered by me and I want to make those changes to the bylaws.

Emily: I motion to approve the changes

Liz: Second

Jed: What are you changing exactly?

Sarah: Basically, the FVP used to be in charge, this year it's me and it's under the bylaws. This still mentions the FVP as the reference, but I want to change it so they don't bother Faizzan.

Laura: Thanks for looking into that Sarah

All those in favor?

Motion passes unanimously

Sarah: we had a club training yesterday the very first one inviting everyone to go through the policies, finances, requisitions, fund raising, events, FRF's, printing codes and getting everyone up to date. I heard that it went well even though it was a lot of info at once. Hoping to get a manual going. I do have a lot of clubs who were unable to attend. I will update them in my office hours. Looking forward to this year though.

Sophie: Will you know of all the club events going on?

Sarah: No, it's only what they tell me. I'm mostly involved with checking policies

Katie: With the exception of that is there a motion to make the change?

Passes unanimously

FVP Updates

Faizzan:

Capital: \$20,000

Unallocated: \$20,000

We have requisition forms at the ASWU front desk. First ASWU finance committee meeting hopefully 3rd of September. I will give you official dates and time later.

EVP Updates

Katie: at the first meeting we needed to assign zones. We're doing that today. I have the budget in front of me. As stated in bylaws each zone must have 220 people in order to have a zone rep. off campus gets 3. Warren 227, McMillan 85, Oliver 17, Duvall. we aren't sure if that's the exact numbers right now. Theme houses will want to be included approximately 100

Hannah: Baldwin has about 165. This doesn't include the overflow rooms.

Miranda: We have 175

Hannah: If I know exact would that be helpful?

Jason: We're just looking at approximates.

Katie: They need to exceed 220. Discussion?

Miranda: Katie and I mentioned keeping it like last year while including theme houses. But BMac might want one?

Katie: They can't have one, because they don't have enough people on their own. They are already overrepresented.

Parker: BMac has two votes already

Hannah: Having a zone rep you when you are already tight knit is my concern. I'm okay with taking on village with BaldwinJenkins and Stewart.

Katie: my concern is BMac is already overrepresented. You have 2 votes out of 18 or 19. It's a little concerning 3 votes for Ballard and Mcmillan. I know how much you guys are going to work, but I think it'll be too much representation.

Sophie: As a resident, something we have is feeling so close and connected. Adding someone in we will lose some of that. I feel like we are represented perfectly. It's not necessary. We didn't feel like we needed another person repping us last year either.

Olivia: Village, Boppell, and theme we are already one, could we stay as one? Not a lot of freshman, to be paired with just freshman might be too much. Try to keep similar ages together.

Katie: Jed how many are living in Stewart

Jed: 69

Olivia: Village 85?

Katie: Jason?

Jason: No, there's 40ish

Olivia: Arend with BMac?

Miranda: That's still overrepresentation

Liz: I think as a senator I must keep up with residents, but I need to be a student first. I'm still trying to figure out my schedule. I need help

Sean: one problem is it's cool that we're tight knit, but we want to get involved. Being paired might allow us to work more with other buildings. Correct me if I'm wrong... BMac had lowest voting turn outs?

Katie: no, they have the highest voting turn out. Lower numbers overall, because there are less people.

Miranda: so not to exclude. I suggest keeping it similar, since we mix RDs. Boppell Arend, Theme house. Compared to size to Duv-Oliver. Stewville and BJ. Could rope warren with BMac if we all agree? Considering we only get 4 zone reps.

Katie: BMac with Stewart 229

Jed: I'm opposed to Bop-ville, the freshman thing would be sacrificing some, for the voice of all of freshman. Freshman are underrepresented here. Breaking up village maybe?

Katie: BJ 273. BJ, Stewart, village?

Laura: I here BMac I like integration. I here that, also I have an idea about having a zone rep, or another position where they aren't a voting member. They would be there to help with duties.

Katie: That would be a change to constitution. If we wanted to do that, it'd go through budget, then a whole Whitworth vote.

Theresa: We should consider for BMac, having 1 senator instead of two. As someone who was a Ballard senator, and knowing the way it's so combined. They could cater to the needs of both buildings. They're so well connected. Then they could have 1 senator, 1 zone rep.

Katie: didn't work a while back. It's hard to represent both buildings. Two to one senator is a bigger conversation. Someone has done that in the past though.

Olivia: I like them being a smaller community.

Sean: We just want to be involved, not overrepresented. We prefer to be thrown into a bigger group. Throw us in with larger group, then our votes aren't overrepresented.

Hannah: Idea! BMac and BJ have similar styles and would be 315 people. Throws off everything though

Katie: But, we would need somewhere to put Stewart

Sean: They have more people than us

Parker: The issue is they're on opposite ends of campus, and the key to zone reps is having them right next to each other

Sean: Warren is big and close. We could be involved in some way with them

Daniella: We can incorporate each other. I think it'd be beneficial. BMac has a lot warren doesn't have

Sophie: zone reps as I understand work 3 hours as a bridge between multiple residence halls. If BMac wants involvement I don't see how 3 hours gets us involved when we haven't even made other efforts to get involved outside of that. I don't think we'll get involved because we simply get a zone rep.

James: There's an event already including everyone else

Levi: how do we move on from this?

Katie: let's let Liz talk

Liz: First, I fully disagree with giving one senator to BMac. Second, Mac would swallow us whole. It would always be a guy winning senator. I don't want a man

Katie: bal Stewart, Arrend Boppel from last year. Think about that

Levi: I motion to approve Duv-Oliver, Theme-Bopend, Warren, and Stew-B-Ville
Seconded by Olivia

In favor: 7

Opposed: 2

Katie: Those are zone reps. Okay, I want to set dates for elections. Primaries: Friday, September 22nd and General: Thursday, October 3rd. Write this in your newsletters... Applications will go out September 16th. They are due Friday, 20th at 4pm, will be a meeting afterwards campaigning on 23rd. zone reps Duval and theme house senator.

Olivia: How can the theme house get this info?

Katie: Krista will send out info. Again, applications go out on the 16th. Sweatshirts, senators think about that. They should be out before Thanksgiving. Also, going back, SEC info this Saturday. I need to figure out a set time. Sean, Jed, and Olivia you need to set up times with me so we can figure that out. The CBS ratification is on September 19th unless you emailed me otherwise. Student highlight parker and Emily. Thanks for pushing through out big events

Katie: any questions?

Hannah: With the new zone reps and 3 new senators do we put the same info in our newsletters?

Sophie when is CBS again?

Katie: the 19th

President Updates

Rohini: Committees I need two more people free October 9th 1-3

Katie: every coordinator needs to be a part of at least one.

Parker: If we have a conflict with classes should we still sign up?

Cameron: I still have conflict

Astrid: I'm already on one. If no one else wants to do it I can do it

Miranda: I have office hours that I can change

Rohini: can I put you both down? (yes)

Miranda: which one was it?

Rohini: building grounds and tech. I talked to Derek Taylor theology professor. senators please include in newsletters. Internationally Christian community developed at Whitworth. Whitworth students will live together for one year. Working with the heart, head, and hands. Everyone will get ingredients to cook a meal together. Practicing hospitality. I have a sheet of paper with info. Also talk to Laura.

Miranda: you want it in newsletters?

Rohini: Yes, there a blurb I have, so you could take a photo of this and condense it.

Hannah: please email it out

Laura: his email is the best to contact for this

Daniella: What's his name?

Rohini: Dereck Taylor. Any other questions? Okay Free expression. you got an email from Beck. His task force is to deal with free expression and civil discourse. It's composed of Admin, Faculty, and students. Done by end of next year questions?

Jed: I saw Laura got appointed. Congrats. How did you get selected?

Rohini: Breck gave us the decision and we agreed on Laura

Laura: come talk to me if you need to

Upcoming Events

Unveiled

Laura: 7pm ABC room. It's a last-minute thing with multi culture worship. We're starting to pick dates please talk to me if you have questions

Mac combat

Emily: Sean and I are working together to do a big community thing, so I decided to work with them to promote it.

Sean: we are making foam weapons, kind of capture the flag. The idea is you hit them with the foam sword. In the past, upper classman liked it. It is the 20th this month during prime time at 8:30. Gear up

Cameron: are people signing waivers?

Sean: Yes

Hannah: Are we making extra gear?

Sean: Yes, at a prime time

Sophie: please send me the porter, are you inviting people outside BMac for the foam sword night?

Sean: We're talking with our RD. I will put in group chat

Olivia: Will there be a set of rules?

Homecoming

Parker: Homecoming is October 4 and 5. At 8 will be unplugged, if you know anyone talented that's for that, reach out and invite them. pdaniels@my.whitworth.edu. We will have a throw pack time machine. With a big red button to switch music up. Homecoming dance is the throwback dance party there will be fliers.

Sophie: I will not be here for homecoming. I need a volunteer Emily? I have official forms for you to fill out

Daniella: What's the time for Saturday?

Parker: It'll be at 8. There may also be a farmer's market in the loop that Friday? I want to do a rock paper scissors tournament

Astrid: senior ice cream social 6:30-7:30 let so let seniors know

Sophie: get me that info

Theresa: multi culture club leadership meeting, discussing mission statement and event ideas. Google calendar with events. With diverse students, let them know we have multiple culture people on campus. Please tell the community about them so they feel represented. You can put my email in there too.

Constituency Reports

Arend

Miranda: we got a lot of interest in zone rep prime time are popping tips to catch phrases. Not a lot of complaints about overflow rooms. They get paid

Ballard

Liz: eco reps got set today. We need a compost bucket

Bryn: hopefully within next week or two

Liz: She also wants to put in something about plastic bags? Also I scheduled Ballard tea

BJ

Hannah: all good, collecting items and placing them on the mantel

Emily: there was a streetlight

Hannah: I don't know where that's from. There's a lot of interesting stuff, come hang out. On a serious note. The smell is super unpleasant. Also is it possible to get snack vending machine?

Katie: that's all you

Boppell

Olivia: first prime time RA's were excited. They ended up breaking our fuse ball table. Busy figuring out what our community is. We're getting little louder. Village

is doing first traveling primetime tomorrow. Boppell is super happy about residents winning apple watch. She hasn't opened it

McMillan

Sean: we're doing good, excited for Mac Combat. Fireplace was broken, first floor clock is broken every year

Off Campus

Emma: things are great off. Campus BBQ was great. I left my dog out. He's fine. Some people interested in off campus representatives. I want to do something fun for an event in fall. If you have ideas let me know

Oliver

Levi: were doing good. Interested in zone reps. Wanting seating areas between Oliver and Duvall. I mean it's getting late into summer months anyways

Stewart

Jed: much more content. On Monday, RAs wanted to do prime time. Q&A with senator. It went well. Selectively told story about Ben Shapiro. Yesterday was my first office hours. I knocked on the doors. There was some zone rep interest. A lady on 3rd had some criticisms about club fair. She was interested in Encristo, but they weren't there.

Sarah: have them email me

Hannah: they can come to our meeting Saturday, 12 in the dining hall

Warren

Daniella: fun week. Bathrooms had water everywhere. We're good now though. We're wanting to do spike ball or pancake primetime. I went around during office hours, looking for questions and concerns. Wanting to see better rep of Warren. Good conversations around that. We got to learn more about ASWU. They love prime times but are stressed about school. They're great

Campus Vibes

Sarah: club chartering committee responsible for making recommendations to club, wanting event with speaker, people can come to that. Students want to start clubs, can't do anything without a committee. I need two student body members which aren't ASWU or leadership. Please put it in newsletter. I need reliable and valuable input. I don't know where to look.

Lauren: dormsife emailed senators about Rogers high school food pantry running low. Providing food for before and after school. Need donations

nonperishable. Weuyrheuser 104. Until community building day. You have the chance to win 20 target gift card. Also, I'm on yearbook and working to get res hall group photos. Please advertise this too

Laura: club charter. I was talking to an ASWU member from last year. We are working on visibility. He realized it isn't as known as we think it is. We're involved and getting excited, but larger community doesn't know as well as we do. I am inspired to keep working on ASWU visibility. Please keep trying to talk about that

Sophie: I sent an email needing office hours. Also, another email with questions about yourself. Introducing you to student body. I have a giveaway going too. Everything I'm doing is to get ASWU out there. Please respond to the emails. Also unrelated... art department welcoming back anna bear in 09 exhibit up and open Saturday, October 5. Yummy Greek food. She's doing a talk afterwards too

Katie: Jubilation. Teaching contemporary on Fridays, if interested in dancing, please come take dance class. Taking all levels of dancers. We have classes all throughout the week.

Bryn: if other senators have compost bins. Or does every dorm need one?

Olivia: we have a recycling bin

Rohini: anything else?

Shout outs

Parker: shout out to Emily. Loved her off campus BBQ

Hannah: shout out to Amariah!

Shout out to Cameron

Cameron: Emma for free wifi!

Laura: Jason for your job and help with club training

Sean: Emily is an awesome activities coordinator

Jed: shout out to all of us on civil debating zone reps

Daniella motioned meeting to adjourn

Seconded by **Hannah**

Vote passes 8 | 1 opposed

Meeting adjourned: 6:10