



2018-19 ASWU Meeting Minutes | **December 5th, 2018**

In attendance:

Tersa Almaw President	present
Andrews Boateng EVP	present
Chelsea Shearer FVP	present
Catalina Corvalan EAA	present
Rohini Vyas Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Amber Van Brunt Sports Events Coordinator	present
Morgan Bucher Sustainability Coordinator	present
Ethan Clardy Senior Class Coordinator	present
Jira Hammond PR/Marketing Coordinator	present
Abdul Haq Special Events Coordinator	present
Talya Jackson Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Utsal Shrestha Cultural Events Coordinator	present
Emily Clemons Oliver Senator	present
James Parrish McMillan Senator	present
Jose Aguilera Warren Senator	present
Katie Rose Ballard Senator	present
Lauren Sfeir Arend Senator	present
Katie Ludlum Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Sarah Haman Boppell Senator	present
Almat Yeraly Stewville Senator	present
Elizabeth Sanders Off-Campus Senator	present
David Martin Duvall Senator	present

Pema Tshogyal Off-Campus Representative	present
Erik Blank Off-Campus Representative	present
Grace Schmidt Off-Campus Representative	present
Christopher Clay Arend & Boppell Representative	present
Mitchell Anderson Baldwin-Jenkins & Stewart Representative	present
Gracey Gonzalez Duvall & Oliver Representative	present
Ehizogie Agbontaen Warren Representative	present
Karen Sobtafo Global Engagement Representative	present

Meeting brought to order at 4:59 PM in ASWU Chambers.

Mission Statement read by Katie R.

Minutes from 11/28/2018 approved unanimously.

Speaker

Dan King

Sodexo | dking@whitworth.edu

Dan: Just wanted a quick min to introduce the new executive chef Tompall Nichols. He's already diving in, looking at food trend, menus, and doing a great job. I'm going to let him introduce himself, and what he's looking forward to doing on campus.

Tompall: Tompalll, it's a unique weird name, if you've never seen that before. Tom and Paul put together, only French, like not super fancy, just down to Earth I was raised in Spokane, have sons, 15 and 19 years old, and a wife with 21 years of marriage. Her family is Hispanic, so we have cool Christmas traditions, tamales Christmas Eve, warm family.

Grew up in restaurants, I was 14 when I started in a North African restaurant, listening to Arabic and French I didn't understand, with the smells, music, dance, and we'd have a family meal after. Really cool, travel the world through my cooking and music, bringing new flavor. Excited to start in Spring semester, switching it up.

Dan: We're excited about enhancing vegetable experience.

Tompall: I worked in Mazuna, downtown, which was a place purely for vegetarians and vegans, side dishes were main one, didn't need to add meat to add flavor. Good love for that, we'll bring that to the table here. Right now, I'm getting to know team, but it's a very dedicated zone to me, I heard years

ago they used to have a wildly popular vegetarian bar. Excited for a switch up, and I'll do what I wanna do. I want feedback, reasonable things.

Dan: we can come back like in the beginning of year and get suggestions, and new things yall wanna see. He'll be out in the front a lot, so come with your suggestions, ideas, don't hesitate.

Tompall: I am very approachable, just not all at once!

FVP Updates

Capital and Unallocated

Chelsea: Unallocated: \$18,320.40

Capital: \$18,208.73

Club Updates

United States Institute for Theatre Technology

Bridget Fouquette | bfouquette19@my.whitworth.edu

Journey: Hello, we posted two events. An *Into the Woods* showing, and talked about it after. We also had our 2nd annual costume olympics, we throw costumes on, play games with that. We also help with main stage, backstage, stuff like that.

Future plan is for more parties to discuss technicals of plays, and do a youth day camp, where local community kids do techniques, like painting costuming. Super fun.

Grace: what's the name of USITT?

Journey: United States Institute for Theatre Technology

Katie R: How to best contact?

Journey: Bridget, the President, or myself, jdonovan20@my.whitworth.edu

Generation Action

Jesse Brinson-Wagner | jbrinson-wagner21@my.whitworth.edu

[Officer]: Gen Action hit the ground running in our first year, showing *Reversing Roe* documentary, had good turnout, good dialogue, and we also informed others of ideas for events and speakers. We've put up informative posters, the blue guys around campus, tabling in hub, ministering sex ed survey, most officers are now trained to give sex ed, phoned for lisa brown, which went great, and Jan term, the club is in the beginning stages of creating a sex ed workshop. Thank you.

Gaming Club

Sarah Kirsten | skirsten19@my.whitworth.edu

Sarah: We started with the Gaming gala for traditiation week in beginning of year, for students who didn't want to to do it, and not be in dorm alone, good chance to get snacks, meet people. Also had Halloween ghosts and games, everyone was invited, good turnout; in January we'll have event with Gen Action, and for spring in April, we're planning our own annual gaming event Whitcon, where students eat snacks, buy stuff from vendors, play games and win prizes, pretty cool. Questions?

Grace: where will it be?

Sarah: Whitcon will be here in MPR.

GWH Students for Academia

[Not present]

Roundnet Club

Levi Detrich | ldetrich19@my.whitworth.edu

Hello, our club is for recreational roundnet, pretty fun, all age clubs welcome, we strive to create inclusive environment, where people can come and pick up games, and improve skill.

We plan to go to Nationals if we do well. Hosted rounds in October; 20 teams, some new, old, came, and \$150 in prizes given out. Plan for Spring, continue interest in club meetings on Fridays in Urec in winter, go to spring regionals with more competitive teams, host 1 screen tournament, in Springfest too for potential funding on those. Thank you.

Heritage of Latino-Americans

Emmanuel Sanchez | esanchez21@my.whitworth.edu

Emmanuel: Primetime event in Arend, our new advisor is the RD Sam, very successful, lot of people, really enjoyed it, more members than last year. Through that, want to put Las Posadas this Friday, 5-7 in Crow's Nest, with posole, and in jan term, another event for holiday, Dia de los Reyes, to have a traditional rosca, it'll be a big food event where we invite members, anyone on campus, Hendrick 120. Dia de los Muertos happened, set altar, big success, lot of dedicated members helped out with us, looked very beautiful with decorations, with that, showed Coco, to inform members and others the significance behind that. Quick note, we will be having our big event Ven

Bailalo in April, it's always a big success, hopefully we keep increasing attendance.

Teri: Do you have regular meetings?

Emmanuel: yes, Mondays in Hendrick 120 at 4PM, all welcome regardless of views, ethnicity or race. Thank you.

Filipino-American Students Association

Ivie Rabon | irabon19@my.whitworth.edu

Nate: I'm VP for FASA, in Sept we had lumpia social, members and officers interact, we announced fall events, enjoyed lumpia. In Oct it was Filipino American Month, Im also FASA Northwest Rep, basically different universities of WA and Oregon are into one big association, and president Ivie, she is Eastern Outreach Rep, worked with them to make excerpts in Filipino American month. Had food. Our president went to Students of Color Conference in GU, met with Filipino-American caucus. November, we competed FASA Olympics with other colleges, Seattle U, UW Seattle, PLU, etc came to compete. Hosted alliance meetings in RTT, here at Whitworth. Still going on with fundraiser, Threads of Hope, and money raised helps families in Philippines to protect children from exploitation, so support families. We still have bracelets left.

Jan term, plan on teaching traditional dances of Phillipines, like with bamboo sticks, we got connections. Working on retreat for Eastern FASA, in Feb or March, and also a FASA Birthday Bash, possible collab with Luau, and attending FASA Spring Conference in Oregon in April. I think that's it. Best contact is Ivie, irabon19.

Pep Band

Mary Beth Plazzo | mplazzo17@my.whitworth.edu

Mary Beth: Hello, I'm president of Pep band. Pep band meets to play home football and basketball games, to pep athletes, work a bit with cheerleaders. Anyone on drums or wind instrument of any kind, can join whenever they want to. We meet before, adding new songs, we have a lot a freshman need to learn song. This year is played for most football games, we performed for football playoffs, exciting. Not basketball yet, but this next one coming up. Will be having bake sale this Friday 4-7, be selling cookies, and will make money for music. We are planning to march in St. Patrick's Day parade, like last year, it's great, have the cheerleaders, drummers on float, and will play for Springfest. Questions?

Chelsea: So we will be moving on to requisitions. Met Sunday. Technically, first was from theater, we knew it was gonna happen, so it's tabled for January, did not come.

First actual requisition was from Yearbook, asked for \$449.91 cents for new chairs, committee approved.

Second from Jose, he came in, had fun time, \$143.57 for whiteboards on Warren lounge, committee approved. And that's it.

Teri: Don't need to vote?

Chelsea: Only on anything higher than \$600.

EVP Updates

Student Highlight

Andrews: This week, it's Sophie, from Ballard. Katie can speak more on her.

Katie R: Hello, I'm Ballard Senator, and we have great residents. Sophie is a highlight, because she is not just an awesome hall mate, but helped out with newsletters while I was sick and she's awesome, thank you, I love you!

President Updates

Constitutional Reform Committee

Teri: We have a group of people that meet and go over by laws. This week, on Article IV, on committees and councils. Made capitalization errors.

Andrews: If you see section b with membership, used to be just 3 assembly members, and 4 students at large, but with my experience, it's not fair to people within SEC, it's a lot of duties and they're volunteers, so at least gives the capacity to have more than 7 members.

When major decision needs to happen, a quorum used to be just 5 members, so now it reflects a majority vote instead, again, people are busy.

Teri: On media, we struck out section 3 & 4, since media is out. Crossed out. Under Budget Committee, we reflected the position title name changes.

Chelsea: it reads "each newly elected FVP will bring to" for sure didn't happen last year, not great plan, exiting FVP should do it, and new FVP should shadow this.

Teri: okay, will note it.

Jason: also, it says that 4 members of assembly, and 2 nonvoting, why take out voting?

Amber: because assembly already is voting members.

Chelsea: there's supposed to be some students at large in there too.

Teri: okay. Good with this, then guys? Moving to section 4, old section 6. Capitalization errors changed. Section 7, about clubs, we're thinking of having a club coordinator, will be announced later on.

Katie R: Currently, club coordinator is also Chelsea, lot of job and expectation, so a new position would take responsibilities of committee, council and those club-related things. Not set, because school needs to vote on position.

Chelsea: running clubs has lot of financial aspect, which will stay under me, but also event coordinating and managing that is put in back burner, because it's not my main priority, so club coordinator would relieve pressure of trying to do finance and club needs. That's the backstory.

[Student]: can you change so that instead of club president attending councils, any club officer can, so it gives more options to an organization on attendance.

Chelsea: we already do that, so...

Teri: okay, so will change presidents to officers. Moving on...

Chelsea: so to clarify, if that position does not pass in Spring, the wording would revert back to FVP?

Teri: Yes.

Amber: point of clarification for article V; we didn't have any changes to it, since we will have internal discussions on best ways to record-keep.

Lizzie: so to clarify, we're not voting on club coordinator position now?

Jason: won't vote on it until later in Spring.

Erik: Move to approve with changes on by-laws.

Chris: Second.

Motion to approve Bylaws Articles IV-V with new changes

Approved: 17

Opposed: 0

Abstained: 0

Motion passed

Upcoming Events

Senior Christmas Party

Ethan: Go seniors, or super seniors! Dec 8th, 7-10, dress fancy, tickets on sale in HUB desk, will be having a pre event Sat 4-7 MacDaddy's pub and grill 15% off for seniors, and I need help for that event. Seniors don't want you to help with it, but others, please if you can. Sign up sheet going around.

Erik: Macdaddy's is 50% off everything...?

Grace: that'd be cray.

Late Skate

Rohini: This Friday, 9:30-11:30, wear ugly Christmas sweaters, buy tickets at door or HUB info desk. I need help, 4 people with ticketing, will send text on group chat for ASWU. If you are helping get there 9:15, so not a big commitment, ASWU gets in free.

Katie L: Where do you pay for rentals?

Rohini: You pay \$2 inside to get skate rentals.

Textbook Exchange

Morgan: Im Morgan, I'm doing that this next week, Thursday Dec 13 in this room, 10:30-2:00, students sell to each other, so we don't mediate that. Bring those old textbooks, for other students, so you don't have to do shipping. Final study party too, so will have snacks. If you want to donate textbooks, spot for that, going towards students who can't afford.

Constituency Reports & Campus Vibes

Arend

So TV is going well, people enjoying it, thanks for the money. Deck the Halls happened, went really well, lot of people come through, 130 total, and residents came in beginning, so good. Campus vibes later, but last night, people came to talk about Jason. Should I save it for later?

Andrews: Yes, please, thank you.

Ballard

Hi everybody, I'm Katie, the Ballard Senator. Pretty nice right now, BMac Christmas party this Fri, everyone welcome to come, always room in tale, ugly sweater competition, too.

Stewart

Christmas party will be this Friday, as everyone else's too, fun times, break from finals. Also, couple residents came to talk about pole sticks, are dead, so I'll work on that for later. Others came to speak about last night too, so it was a concern. Please come talk to me if you want to too.

Warren

We got approved for whiteboards, pretty much it. Same with speaker, its funny, with the poster, someone scratched it up, and someone posted a letter about "why did you do that", and they responded in another letter, so now's a long thread of letters. Now I think it's at "I don't think you're getting the point".

Off campus

Handed out some compost bins today, went great, and next week we're thinking of doing some hot chocolate, coffee bar for off campus students, we had enough money left over. And lots of comments on speakers.

GER

Nothing much now, planning on thing for Spring. Lot of Speaker comments.

Duvall

Duvall had a dance last Friday, it went really well, attendance was a bit low.

BJ

Going great, christmas party was this past Sunday, 50 students there, Beck Taylor read a story to us, lot of fun. Made some christmas cards with En Christo, and will go deliver Saturday, come through, 1:30 in HUB, 2:15 we leave. Lot of fun.

Oliver

Cool, Christmas Party was this Monday. That's it!

Mac

So Mac has mice. Contacted an exterminator, came Tue or Mon, but before that, residents killed 6 mice. Macsterminators can help you out. Flat rate fee of \$50, \$5 per mouse.

Lizzie: do you do off campus houses?

James: will talk to my employees, also my constituents. All proceeds go to Mac.

Boppell

Coffeehouse went great, 200 attendees, lot of great feedback, thanks for all the help. Want to reiterate the comments about speaker later on; as I had my office hours last night, residents came by and had a large thoughtful 2 hr discussion of

events, will talk more when it's appropriate, but good event, especially when Boppell people don't come out of rooms. Following up on fireplace issue, will get there. Like Almat said, Christmas party this Friday.

Rohini: I think on a practical level, a proposal should reflect the contents of the events.

Sarah: Yes, a proposal should reflect what actually goes on.

Katie R: I feel like we were straight up lied to, and I don't appreciate it.

Chris: I agree with Katie, I voted yes on it, and I feel misled, not saying my vote wouldn't change, but doesn't reflect ASWU values, and it showed true colors, and made students feel it isn't a safe space, makes it hard to connect with residents. Didn't appreciate it.

Lauren: I felt like, with the posters after, it was presented differently than what event was. Originally, posters went up with no name of what he was going to speak about. Others that went up, with actual name of it, were off, but it was presented about political correctness. What it actually was, that "left creates a campus of self-righteous victims" is way different wording that about the consequences. Stayed until 2 talking about this, students felt attacked; we've been divided.

Jason F: So I think that the way voting went for this speaker was based on good faith, that there was going to be genuine good conversation helpful to campus. But there was misleading info, deception, some people who voted feel guilty that way, but I wanna say that there was a genuine kind attempt to make a good influence on campus. Result was divisiveness, and what I heard as a part of leadership team on Arend, and member of community, was detriment to community and university. You could be conservative or liberal, sit down, listen and learn from each other, but this speaker went on personal attack that directly goes against students on campus, unacceptable. Genuine attempt, but as voting members of ASWU, those who have the power, need to vet these speakers out better. Detriment to community and campus it's on you unfortunately who makes choices.

Going forward on guest speakers, it reflects views of club, but reflect ASWU, and result on what university is supposed to be about. As a whole, guest speaker didn't reflect mission statement, clearly says about "inclusive environment". Politics aside, it's unacceptable that there's a negative connotation with ASWU.

Sarah: personally didn't attend, had office hours. I asked constituents if they felt like there was hate speech, they said no, after going through, and in mission statement, places where YAF report did match up. I explained why i voted yes, and they agreed with me on my intention on what was said before. Biggest problem now we face with those invited, is outright disrespectful, I think what he had to say and his beliefs are valid opinions a lot of people hold on campus, but not being critical and mean towards certain individuals.

Emily: Is there a way to make it where they can't start planning event until we approve it? I felt pressured, because they had put up posters and everything, we were pressured, weren't sure who he was.

Andrews: moving forward, we'll discuss not signing a contract until approval.

Jason: they didn't sign it before vote, by the way.

Erik: I think we have to be careful on blaming things, can't directly point to YAF, even if they were misleading, couple of people in it were disappointed on event as well. Let's be careful to say we were mislead, cause they were too. Need genuine conversation with them, before placing blame. It was disappointing, had potential to open conversation. Didn't feel productive use of time. The way the speaker presented ideas, he didn't make them available to everyone, not willing to talk about it, rather, just attack each other.

Alex: I'm Alex, the social justice coordinator for chapel, this event went how I expected it, given his twitter, we knew he was a dick. I think this type of event enlists division, and it's a real priority of chapel and university to help reconcile divisions, and we won't get there until they're brought to light. Shame last night, since people were personally hurt, as a campus, we are ignorant that there's tensions, and large groups that hold beliefs that are empathetical to interests of others in the group. No division was created last night, it was there, so we need to move it to light and unity after that.

Chelsea: my committee is first who approves speakers. I don't think had we would've approved, had we known about the feelings that came out of it. would've approved. Next move in our leadership is finding ways to prevent that.

Almat; didn't go, but I asked around, I feel ASWU and YAF shouldn't be blamed for whatever happened last night, too many factors involved, ASWU was misled, but YAF didn't even expect this. You could if you want to blame, but let's not go

there. Like Alex pointed out, the guy is a dick, but I will say this, you can listen to all the dicks in the world, and still find something interesting. Not trying to defend him. Division is on this campus, and he just lit it up, I guess. Please don't blame ASWU or YAF, so in future, we need better facilitation.

Jason C: I just wanna say, not even talking about last night, this shows importance of vetting properly, I know it was our first experience, but if you read his twitter or searched for him, a lot of things he said last night it was word-for-word speeches. Unfortunately takes things like this to learn lesson.

Jed: I'm a political science major, I was disturbed last night too, I read about Beck's discourse book that he gave, and what ASWU reps and senators need to consider, if you're vetting someone, is, can the speaker convey his or her truth in love? Can they state their message no matter how controversial it is, still be open, and listening to others, and not just go out there on an attack. There's constructive speech, that we want, two views, we can learn on, and there's destructive speech, someone who just wants to rattle the cage, insult, like he did with the nasty period comment, insult Beck himself, our community. Can this person speak their truth in love?

Amber: to change tone, super quick note on my event, I'm sponsoring free pizza and raffle at Basketball game Monday 8pm, it'll be a good study break, free food, go support.

Katie R: go support Jubilation on Sunday 7PM!

Shout outs

Talya: Gracey Jo, Mitchell, Karen, Chris, Ehi, for helping with cold cup drive, gathered great stuff, very appreciated.

Andrews: shoutout to everyone, for having this conversation and reflecting on event in civil manner.

Sarah: thanks to Amber, Chris and Katie R for Bop Coffeehouse, special thanks to Ethan who helped all night, you didn't have to.

Morgan: shoutout to Lauren for Deck the Halls.

Lauren: to all who helped with Deck the halls.

Almat: Jed, for coming, one of my constituents, you're the best.

Chelsea: James, Katie R, Lauren, Katie L, for finance committee, and they're the best.

Sara: this is a question, any consequences or next step for speaker?

Andrews: we will sit down and discuss that, and bring it back.

James: changing Chelsea's shoutout, it's Emily not Lauren.

Erik: move to end meeting.

Chris: 2nd.

Meeting adjourned 6:10PM.